Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INFRARED COMMUNICATION - some problems with led

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukitoo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
INFRARED COMMUNICATION

Hi !!

I am developing a IR link, and y need pulses with 1us of rise time. I have problems with the LED specifications.
FOr example: I have LED with a switching time of 800 ns, but when I try to make it work, It works up to 3 kHz. !!!

I don't know what to do. It 's the driver ?

Re: INFRARED COMMUNICATION

How did you determine the frequency? Did you monitor the voltage across the diode or did you use an IR detector?

Here are some tips.

The driver should have a high current capacity. Several buffer inverters in parallel. Put a resistor between them and the LED to set the current. Put a capacitor across the resistor to make the initial charging and discharging of the diode junction fast. Start with a low value of 10 pF and raise it by steps of 2X until you get the voltage across the diode to be a good rectangle with fast edges.

I used a photo detector. With 3kHz periodic pulse waveform as source of the transmitter, the received waveform was unacceptable form me. THat was what I mean.

Another thing that I don't understand very well is the calculation of the max current that the LED could manage. In my design I need pulses of 10 us with a max dutycycle of 1/2.

Thanks !

The LED data sheet should list maximum current. 10 mA is usually well within most diode ratings. That is why LED drivers always have series resistors or transistor current sources to limit the current. Otherwise you will overheat the diode and damage it.

Another thing is overdriving the detector. Put more distance between them and see if things improve.

Yes. I have a led with 100mA maximum dc current, but I want to know about how to calculate the peak current with my requirements.

Thanks!

duty factor

There should be a graph of maximum current vs duty factor and pulse width. Your 100 mA and the duty factored should be safe.

Yeah !!! I've found it !
Thanks !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back