Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information about programming Xilinx CPLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanuelcsm

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm begining to work with CPLD tecnologie, I need to resume a big digital circuit, so I'm thinking to use CPLD (family XC9500CL)

But I don't know how to program it, where can I download a book or tutorial?

Thanks.

xilinx cpld programming tutorial

Hi,
You can download a free program from Xilinx,

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/design_tool/index.htm

Download the ISE web pack (pretty large, about 200 meg) and instal it on you PC.

If you want, you can use schematic entry to work with your first design, there is a good tutorial included in the package. But later on, you may use a HDL language such as VHDL or Verilog instead, but to start using PLDs, just try some of their demo programs and go on afterwards.

You can find a lot of goo resources on the web if you do a search for it.

Best regards,
/Farhad

emanuelcsm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
xc9536 ise security bit

Hi,

Have a look at the XC9500 home page on Xilinx's site :

h**p://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_prodcat_product.jsp?title=xc9500_page

They provide free software tools for cicuit design like ISE webpack :

h**p://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=DS-ISE-WEBPACK

For progamming the device, you will need a serial to jtag adapter like this one :
h**p://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-PC4&iLanguageID=1

or like this one :
h**p://toolbox.xilinx.com/docsan/2_1i/data/common/jtg/fig26.htm

Replace * by t

emanuelcsm

xilinx cpld security bit

Hi farhada,

Wath hardware I need to read that device? I need to buy it or do you have a schematic for it?

Emanuel

Thanks.

free xilinx cpld programs vhdl

Hi Emanuel,
In order to program a CPLD, you need to have a JTAG programmer, you can find the schematic of it on Xilinx web site or on many other places.

Then, you just connect it to your PCs parallell port and you are ready to go.

I would recomend you download the software first, play with it for a while, see how much logic you have and how big of a device you need, a quick note about xilin products. the 9500 servies are 5Volt, 95XL00 seriers are 3.3 and 95XV00 series are 2.5volt. The last letters on the name shows how many flip flops you have, for example XC9536 has 36 flip fliops (macrocells) and XC95144 has 144 flipflops.

let me know if you can''t find the JTAG cable schematic, and I send you one,

BR,
/Farhad

emanuelcsm

xilinx cpld reverse engineering

You'd better order this development kit from Xilinx:
**broken link removed**

It is pretty cheap ($49.99) and has all tools, docs, cables and dev. board for easy start with CPLD design. It will save you a lot of time.

emanuelcsm

cpld reverse engineering

Hi Farhad.

I find the jtag schematic, but I'm thinking to buy the kit, it isn't very expensive.

Thanks for the help....

I have anoder question, now about the quick logic pASCI1, do you now what can I do to read it? I need to do a reverse Engineering, but on the board have a pASCIC1 device, and I need read it to do that.

Thanks...

Xilinx CPLD

Hi,
That is a whole another story,

reverse engineering a programmable device is close to impossible, unless you have a lot of very sofisticated test equipment, the device does not have it's security bit set and 100s of other issues.

Unfortunately, I am not the right person to help on this, maybe someone else can help you with it.

BR,
/Farhad

emanuelcsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back