Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Info about USB Printer Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmmboy

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I need to control a USB printer with a microcontroller...
Where can I find some information about this?

TX

Re: USB Printer Driver

One part is that you need a USB host implementation, this is much more complex to do than the device. But I guess you know all about this already...

The second problem would be to generate the pages. Old printers would accept asci strings as input and print it as text but almost all modern printer is of GDI type and then the printed data is generated and rendered by the pc driver. The format of the data sent is printer specific but basicly its 4 bit planes with CMYK data compressed. One popular compression used is JBIG.

One popular format for sending data to printers when generated is the zj stream.
http://oem.zeno.com/SP6SDK/4_Reference/File and Stream Formats/ZjStream.htm

For a more simple solution maybe a postscript or PCL printer could be used, then you would be able to send text strings as the printer is able to render informaiton by itself.

re Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back