Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductors of LPF wound onto the same toroid

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I would like to design a LPF for HF
**broken link removed**
the series configuration (two coils).
I was wondering if I could wind both coils onto the same toroid (same or opposite phase?), or if it should not be done that way at all?

No, you can't do that because it would create magentic coupling between the inductors. For the low pass function, it is important that both inductors are NOT coupled.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
No, you can't do that because it would create magentic coupling between the inductors. For the low pass function, it is important that both inductors are NOT coupled.

Thank you.
Even if winding the coils in different phase or some other weird way?

Last edited:

Because as the signal travels down the sections of the LPF, its voltage/current phase changes at each section, there is not anywhere where they can be cancelled out.
Frank
Thanks, so I guess I should better use an L-type LPF if a single core is to be used.

if you are really good on filter design, you can use the coil coupling as elliptical poles to your advantage. but you do not sound like a filter expert, so don't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back