Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor vendor differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktr

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to everybody,

My question is dependent on personal choice but I'm interested in your opinions. I have been using Murata inductors; mostly LQW and LQP series for my microwave designs for 3-4 years. Lately I realized for applications involving L & S band, Coilcraft inductors give better Q and their simulation models are more accurate in my ADS simulations. Also, I used some Johanson Tech. inductors of JTI_L-07 series; which also gave good results for "simulation vs test" in C-band. Is there a rule-of-thumb on vendor selection which you use?

Kind Regards,

ktr

As you said, you are going to use what you think is better, not what others think.
Personally, for high frequency designs, I am using AVX components and I am happy with their results.

Reactions: ktr

Murata may be appropriate for consumer products but there are some other companies who manufacture more Professional Grade Capacitors and Inductors for RF and Harsh Environment Systems.They are especially focused for Military and Automotive Applications.
Johansson, ATC, Knowles Precision Devices, MiniRF, Coilcraft are well known manufacturers.

But in term of model accuracy and consistency, Modelithics should be the guide to obtain best result at especially those frequencies.

Last edited:

I have similar feeling. The s-paramter given by Murata doesn't match the real components that well. But the price of murata inductor is much cheaper than Coilcraft.

Hello to everybody,

My question is dependent on personal choice but I'm interested in your opinions. I have been using Murata inductors; mostly LQW and LQP series for my microwave designs for 3-4 years. Lately I realized for applications involving L & S band, Coilcraft inductors give better Q and their simulation models are more accurate in my ADS simulations. Also, I used some Johanson Tech. inductors of JTI_L-07 series; which also gave good results for "simulation vs test" in C-band. Is there a rule-of-thumb on vendor selection which you use?

Kind Regards,

ktr

As you said, you are going to use what you think is better, not what others think.
Personally, for high frequency designs, I am using AVX components and I am happy with their results.
I matched an amplifier using Murata components; then only changed vendor and re-soldered the parts of other vendors. (did Murata, Johansson, Coilcraft and Vishay). I observed that L & C values slightly changes for different vendors. That's why I asked what is your preference at certain frequencies. For now, I am gonna use Johansson and Coilcraft in L&S bands; and Murata for C band. Vishay for X band for instance. Do you have a similar choice like this?

I just want to start a conversation; to tap into you and other guru's experience.

basically i find a fairly reputable company with the LOWEST COST inductor that seems to meet my needs, then i test the actual chip to see its performance in my particular applications.

For instance, if i am using the inductor in a bias line, i install it in shunt across a 50 ohm microstrip line, and measure broadband S21, looking for any funny glitches, and overall insertions loss.

If i am building a filter, i might use the inductor in a simple 1 pole bandpass filter, with a known good capacitor resonating it, and seeing the loaded Q.

and so on. You might find a nice ten cent inductor that works fine for your needs!

Status
Not open for further replies.