Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductive load to a transistor switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchested

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When a bjt switch have an inductive load connected to Emitter, is it necessary to have a diode in reversed biased between the CE junction, or else the back voltage will blow up the bjt?

What is the difference to have the diode between CE and to have it in parallel with the inductive load?
do they have the same function? and do I need a diode for both or either one is actually enough?

Hey buddy!
Hello.
We have a famous law that called ''LENZ'' law. In inductors we have a formula : VL= L*(di/dt). My mean is when your inductor has current , inductor store energy E=1/2*(L*I*I). when you going to open it's current way , Inductor wants to oppose from your work and crate A high voltage in reverse polarity that called Lenz Effect. when you have an inductor In emitter of transistor you should use a diode in paralle with inductor but in reverse bias for protect from your transistor.

d.JPG
Hi again.
yes that diode called fly back diode or eliminator diode. we use this diode because of that , when current of an inductor going down the polarity of voltage during inductor going reverse and this diode going forward bias and going to discharge the storage energy of inductor.

Regards
Goldsmith

Hi Manchested;

Simple - not academic - a response to your original questions:

When a bjt switch have an inductive load connected to Emitter, is it necessary to have a diode in reversed biased between the CE junction, or else the back voltage will blow up the bjt?
No, the CE diode doesn't necessary if you have the other ...

What is the difference to have the diode between CE and to have it in parallel with the inductive load?
Only the second (parallel to the relay) diode is needed, the other is redundant.

do they have the same function? and do I need a diode for both or either one is actually enough?
See above : - )

Attachments

• Relay.jpg
    Relay.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back