Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Induction coil core - which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello I am trying to make a small induction coil from scratch for demonstration purposes.
Which core is better in terms of magnetization, low temperature etc?
1. solid iron core
2. multi-wire iron core
3. Ferrite core from an old radio antenna (loopstick- ferrite antenna)

Any of those will do. If you want to build a large magnet the then iron core is probably better (you don't want to saturate the core, do you?). If you want to show in the lab the AC response of a coil with or without core, chances are you get an even better increase in self-inductance with ferrite.

See this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_permeability

The bigger the magnetic permeability, the better.

Any of those will do. If you want to build a large magnet the then iron core is probably better (you don't want to saturate the core, do you?). If you want to show in the lab the AC response of a coil with or without core, chances are you get an even better increase in self-inductance with ferrite.

See this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_permeability

The bigger the magnetic permeability, the better.

Thank you very much!
The induction coil produces very high pulsed voltages from a low dc voltage source. So basically the primary is the low voltage and the secondary the very high voltage part. I have seen in flyback TV transformers they use ferrite cores, but I have no idea why.
Would a ferrite core really make an electromagnet, as it is considered a ceramic material?

First point, you didn't really clarify your requirements, thus "Any of those will do" is the appropriate answer.

"Ceramic material" isn't the point, ferromagnetic properties matter.

Inductors and transformers can be calculated in terms of basic electrical quantities, e.g. inductance, windings ratio, series resistance, coupling factor. Did you?

First point, you didn't really clarify your requirements, thus "Any of those will do" is the appropriate answer.

"Ceramic material" isn't the point, ferromagnetic properties matter.

Inductors and transformers can be calculated in terms of basic electrical quantities, e.g. inductance, windings ratio, series resistance, coupling factor. Did you?

No I did not do any calculations. I am trying to build this induction coil from instructions from an old book. They suggest multiple iron wires tied together to make the core. I was wondering if ferrite or something like this will do better **broken link removed**

What exactily do you want to do in your demonstration? To get a small spark in the secondary winding such as in an automobile spark gap?

What exactily do you want to do in your demonstration? To get a small spark in the secondary winding such as in an automobile spark gap?

Yes, exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.