Inductance of coile dup cbale on winch (twisted pair or just two strand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Inductance of 100m of coiled up cable on winch (twisted pair or just two strand)

Hi,
The cable seen at 4:50 of this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTMaXfLFb4

..is 100m long. Since it comprises "go" and "return", the inductance of the coiled up cable on the winch will be very low.
Do you know a formula to calculate this?
1...for twisted pair cable
2...for side-by-side cable

..or just a rough estimate of the coiled up cable inductance as shown here (100m).

I'd guess 200uH for the inductance...since mains cable (side-by-side) is approx 1uH per metre when un-coiled...so estimate 2uH per metre for coiled up.
I'd estimate 70uH if it was twisted pair.

What are your thoughts?

Inductance of a balanced line depends on conductor geometry. Twist has no considerable effect, except for slightly increasing the effective length.

Conductive material in the vicinity (e.g. a cable shield or other wires) tends to reduce inductance. Mutual inductance in a coil can increase TP inductance, but due to arbitrary coupling factor sign, I would expect only a low average increase. Factor 2 sounds unrealistic.

agreed - twisted pair and side by side is essentially the same thing, for send & return coiling has no effect ...

- - - Updated - - -

as to the drones - eventually the weight of the wire will be a severe limiting factor for height - and distance from spool ...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…