Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Increasing Antenna Range [RFID]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodee

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I am having trouble getting any more range out of my RFID setup, im am using a 680uH ferrite core inductor and 2n2F cap for my antenna, this is setup with a HTRC110 RFID IC and then to micro controller.

The diameter of the inductor is about 8mm/9mm and the tag im trying to read is 8mm, current reading range is about 13/15mm, is this range typical of my setup or should I be expecting more? I was originally hoping for ~30mm.

Any suggestions how this range could be increased? Antenna size is quite limited; is it a case of the range increasing with larger antenna diammeter?

Thanks,
nodee

Increase any inductor dimension, use a type of ferrite that allows high Q at these frequencies, use more copper and less core, verify that whole thing in its normal environment is tuned for max TX level.

Status
Not open for further replies.