Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Incorporating a .imu file in a c++ code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klen

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

Could somebody please explain me what an .imu file is? I have check the internet, and the 'Star Wars Force Commander' thing is not what I am looking for.

To elaborate a bit, I am currently programmin a motion simulator and I have kind of picked up from where another person left. This person has a headerfile abc.h defined in the main file, while in the project folder, the closest thing i see is a abc.imu file. At first I thought that I might be overlooking the abc.h file in my folder, but another (pretty much experienced to be trusted but for some reason a bit arrogant to help) colleague of mine told me that I need to use the .imu file itself.
I have already wasted a few hours today trying to sort out this problem. Any ideas? :?

Thanks a lot in advance! (Any sort of help is more than welcome)

if there is a header file abc.h included in the main file have you checked directories on the project include path - it could be somewhere other than the main directory
never heard of a .imu file - what happens if you try to open in with a text editor? could it have been renamed by mistake?

if there is a header file abc.h included in the main file have you checked directories on the project include path - it could be somewhere other than the main directory
Yes, that was actually the first thing I checked followed by checking for some spelling mistakes. There seems to be no file abc.h at all in my computer (or even network in my case). The closest I have come to is abc.imu

never heard of a .imu file - what happens if you try to open in with a text editor? could it have been renamed by mistake?
Thats the surprising part , that almost no body I have spoken to yet, has ever heard about a .imu file! I already tried opening the file with a text editor today morning and it was incomprehensible. I tried various extensions to see if something would make sense, including .h, .bat etc, but in vain.
Commenting out #include <abc.h> and the corresponding functions it is supposed to hold, my code works exactly as expected. I actually even tried using #include<abc.imu>, and funnily, the compiler recognizes the file, and starts displaying some random errors.

Firstly, thank you horace1 for the kind help and others who might be trying to provide some useful assistance. I managed to overcome the situtation, and thus I am going to mark the thread solved.

For others ho might face same\similar problems, here is what happened:
.imu files are binary data files, and as such, using text editors wíll not be of much help unless you know how to decode the hexadecimal script ;) . It houses some co-ordinates and constraints sometimes necessary for the successful running of some complex programs. In my code, it works more or less similar to a handshake protocol, as I am sending and receivng data through many sending and receiving stations. To use it, all you have to do is ensure its in the same directory as your main file. The complier will automatically find it. You do NOT need to declare it as a header file. That was my main mistake.
(Another very impotant lesson learnt is that, do not simply trust colleagues if they are being a******* just because their CV boasts of much more experience than your age. Sometimes they themselves have no idea what they are talking about. )

Have a nice day. (If its sunny out there please send some here too! :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back