Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] incident power filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashgari

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell :

we have two incident power(P1,P2) in ku-Band with same frequency( P2>P1 ) into one surface.
I would like to select the highest power. what kind of material can help me?

Are the powers different in any way? E.g. different polarizations? And is this a volumetric material, or are you looking for some find of planar solution?

no they are in same way and same polarization. is volumetric empirical or i should find planar solution? furthermore, I know voltametric material can change their
reflection index by different voltage.

I do not see any purpose in using two signals at the same frequency. If they are coherent, they will add up to make one wave. What is what you want?

Dude
let me explain in this way, two ray with same polarization at same frequency with phase difference(180 degree) interact the surface. i would like to use one electromagnetic filter to omit the ray that have 180 degree phase difference because adding this two ray has null output. So as i understood, tunable meta material or electrochromic material (Smart material) has flexibility to control the reflection index if i could detect the phase differences i would design controlling panel. this case happens in line-of-sight of microwave link or... .

Dude
let me explain in this way, two ray with same polarization at same frequency with phase difference(180 degree) interact the surface. i would like to use one electromagnetic filter to omit the ray that have 180 degree phase difference because adding this two ray has null output. So as i understood, tunable meta material or electrochromic material (Smart material) has flexibility to control the reflection index if i could detect the phase differences i would design controlling panel. this case happens in line-of-sight of microwave link or... .

If you emit two coherent waves with a phase difference of 180 degrees, they will immediately cancel each other before hitting any object. There is no way to "filter" one out. The same holds for two voltage waves on a line: you cannot filter out one or another if they have the same frequency and are coherent.

You can use two synchronous signal (or ray) sources but once you allow them to combine, there is no way to separate them. You can only control them AT THE SOURCE, not later.

....two ray with same polarization at same frequency with phase difference(180 degree) interact the surface.

Are you implying that they only interact at the surface, i.e. the two rays have different angles of incidence, i.e. different polarizations?

I think it depends on the incident angle i mean cancelling is not forced it depends on incident angle and point of interact isn't it?
E.g one lake located between two transreceiver so at desired frequency lake acts as reflector with reflection index=1 with phase 180 degree as i know the receiver receives the direct and reflected waves. So i think there should be the way to differ two rays. as i know space diversity is one way but i don't want to involve with diversity i prefer explained method what is your thought?

- - - Updated - - -

If you emit two coherent waves with a phase difference of 180 degrees, they will immediately cancel each other before hitting any object. There is no way to "filter" one out. The same holds for two voltage waves on a line: you cannot filter out one or another if they have the same frequency and are coherent.

You can use two synchronous signal (or ray) sources but once you allow them to combine, there is no way to separate them. You can only control them AT THE SOURCE, not later.

I think it depends on the incident angle i mean cancelling is not forced it depends on incident angle and point of interact isn't it?
E.g one lake located between two transreceiver so at desired frequency lake acts as reflector with reflection index=1 with phase 180 degree as i know the receiver receives the direct and reflected waves. So i think there should be the way to differ two rays. as i know space diversity is one way but i don't want to involve with diversity i prefer explained method what is your thought?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you implying that they only interact at the surface, i.e. the two rays have different angles of incidence, i.e. different polarizations?

yes exactly but same polarization

If your incoming rays are linearly polarized, and have different incident angles, then by definition, polarization is different, and what you wanted to do is possible. Polarization-dependant microwave materials can be fabricated - is this what you're looking for?

Last edited:
I may be biased, but I would recommend investigating metamaterials. With a volumetric material, you can easily create a "filter", which has a bandstop region in one polarization, but not in the complimentary case -- I.E. it will pass TE but not TM (or whatever your application is). Obviously in your case, the smaller the incident angle between your rays, the harder the signals ("powers") will be to separate.

You can get metamaterials which change their properties (bandstop region frequencies or index of refraction) with applied voltage, which also seems to be what you want.

could you please insert the link that describe more about volumetic material (how does it work etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back