Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In-Circuit Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythos

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

i'll be brief :)

I used to program a few years ago (last project was on 2003) the 8051 family uC using assembly language. After that i went to ASIC design... anyway. I want to start a new project now (probably use C and or mixed C and Assembly code) but i want to avoid the remove chip from PCB to program, re-incert it, test it and repeat the whole process over and over and over.

I never used the JTAG, I2C, ICSP, USB or other interfaces for In Circuit Programming of the uC.

My Question is: Which is the best solution for developing a project and avoid the fuss? (I'm always referring to the 8051 family) Links with detailed instructions would be much appreciated :)

I would also like to know if i can flash a device using the CAN-Bus protocol

for your design you can use 89s51 or 89s52 from atmel.

it is programmable without removing.

other types will add extra circuitry more for the features reqd.

use 89s51/52 .
atmel 89sxx datasheet is the best and recomended starter
for your experience .

may suit you.

i have not come across any can bus programmer type.

srizbf
5thmay2010

Hi, you can use PIC18 controllers and PicKit3 incircuit debugger. If you need higer performance then use PIC32 controllers, you can use the same PicKit3 for in-circuit debugging. I prefer PIC32 or ARM controllers. But if you don't have ARM dev. tools, use PIC.

PIC dev. cost is low compared to ARM. You can also try AVR chips.

Some controllers with on chip CAN
PIC18F2680 1CAN
PIC24HJ64GP502 1CAN
dsPIC33FJXXXMCX06A/X08A/X10A 2CAN
PIC32MX5XX/6XX/7XX 2CAN

Good Luck.

original post:

"I'm always referring to the 8051 family.."

the op wanted some directions on 8051 .

while PIC has innumerable options than other controllers ,
as the requiremnt is for 8051 family ,

suggestions in that line is welcome.

srizbf
6thmay2010

Mythos said:
(probably use C and or mixed C and Assembly code)

I don't know any 51 core controllers having CAN peripheral, becoz I am always using higher performance controller. My advice is, don't stick with one controller or one core, bcoz PIC, AVR ,ARM etc. are too powerful and peripheral rich than old 51 (even new ver. are available) especially ARM core. Try Googling, I think you may get a 51 core controller with CAN peripheral.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for the replies...

anandpv2009: For CAN-BUS implementation i'm using the SJA1000 controller and a CAN-BUS tranceiver so i really don't care if the uC has CAN embedded. I don't know if i'll switch to a uC that has that peripheral. If i remember correctrly the only difference is that you don't have to reserve memory for the CAN bus registers, buffers etc...

Maybe things have changed since 2002, those days there weren't many or any uC that had CAN BUS embedded

Anyway I've found this programmer that looks like it does the work...
https://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view/94/8051prog2/

I'll keep on searching for a few days to see which is the best solution for In System Programming...
I'll give a good look to the AVRs as well ... As far as ARM is concerned i don't think i'll go there yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.