Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

In circuit bios programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawwa7

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bios programmer

hi all
i have a mother board gigabyte that uses a bios chip 29ee020-120-4c-nh
a producto of sst and some one tried to flash it using a wrong software and the bios chip faild to start up . i can't access it any more and need any in circuit programmer and adapter to reprogram the this bios again and reuse the board .
is that possible and how can i do it ?
what programmer circuits or adapters that may help me doing this?
any link or hint will be greatly appreciated
best regards

bios programer

check if your Motherboard Support Emergency REcovry
(With Floopydisk)

bios programmer circuit

hi Cortex
i'm sorry , but what do u mean by Emergency Recovry ?
the motherboard didn't start at all and no on screen display to use any flash software even with using ISA VGA card .
if u can tell me about this Emergency Recovry technique i'd be greatly appreciate that and will give a try , then tell u
if u do have any simple in circuit programmer that may help rewriting the software (bin file) to the bios it would be of great help for me and others .
thanks
best regards

ezoflash

some boards come with a recovery floppy or a cd with a utility to make a recovery floppy, however, even with these special recovery tools, recovery is not always possible after an incorrect flash. There MAY be a way around it if you have access to an identical bios chip that is working, however it shuold ony be used as a very last resort, and only applies to bios chips that can be physically removed from the board:

remove working bios from working board
place in board with broken bios chip
power on and boot from a disk with a CORRECT bios flash and utility
hot swap the bios chip for the broken one
flash it
reboot

I have used this method in the past when I used to customize my bios chips, it does work, but failing that, I wouldnt hold out much hope, sorry.

plcc programmer schematics

hi eggplant
thank u for replying and trying help , i don't have this utility and i do know the swap method u explained here , but my chip is pga and soldered on the board and no way to remove it without damage and also needs a socket and much work wich is not easy to manage .. that's why i'm searching in circuit programmer that may help solving this problem.
Regards

plcc programmer schematic

Ami Bios and Award have a Emergency System
that Allow you to Reflash the Motherboard also after bad Flashing

i don't remember well but u press a Sequence in the keyboard and u power on the pc
u must insert a Disc in the floppy disck (bootable (prompt only with a autoexec.bat that must run the flashing utility))
nothing is displayed in the Screen, the pc restart after a long beep.

some new mother board have Dual Bios so u can restore from one to other with another sequence
just try to search in your MB manual and manufacturer site.

i think the recovry that i used was for a MSI MB
check in MSI.COM.TW

i hope it the same solution

regards

make a plcc programmer

What GygaByte motherboard do you have ? New models have Dual Bios.

What flash utility did you use ? For AMIBios, Award, Phoenix ?

**broken link removed**

Sad to hear that it's soldered into motherboard. Because it's PLCC package it should be better to use a socket. Well, manufacturer's choice.

As far as I know you can't use an external programmer with the chip sitting in the motherboard even if you hold the microprocessor bus on hold. If you're unable to program with recovery flash utility, the only solution is to remove it from motherboard with a hot air gun.

programmer for bios

i know that it not recommanded to programme a MCU/EEPROM/etc when it still in board
exept if it ISP compatible

simple bios programmer

I cant see how you would program it anyway, even if you had the original code for it.
Unfortunatley, IMO it looks like you may be going shopping.

dual bios circuit

hi all
well , this is a gigabyte GA-BX2000 Motherboard ( dual bios) , the problem is the main bios and the backup bios were both flashed with error version and the mother board become completely dead .
i didn't try to use the recovery methode before , but tried to use an ISA VGA card hoping to flah it again using the right version but this didn't work .
i've asked in my country if they can reprogram this plcc chips but got the answer NO !!
i beleive it's a microcontroller chip that could be reprogrammed again .. may be i'm wrong .. so i've cut the main bios chip legs and cleaned the rest using my soldering iron and will get a socket for this plcc chip and will resoder it in place of the main bios chip , will buy a new blank chip .. this is the last thing i'm thinking about and just ask to know if i can go on or get the board into trash ?
can i use any simple programmer to download the bin file into a blank chip ?
if the answer is yes .. can u please give me a simple programmer that enable me to download the software bin file to the chip?
i'm not into microcontroller programming industry and all i've done before is using the 24cxx simple eprom programmers for TVs and Monitor Repairs .
this is the problem and if u can help me solve it .. i'd appreciate that and if it's unsolvable .. just tell me to trash this board
Best Regards

plcc bios ic programmer

SST29EE020 has 2048 pages and 128 bytes per page.
That means 262144 bytes (0-3FFFF) exactly as bx2000.f9 file.
I believe that if you find an apropiate programmer you'll succeed to keep alive the motherboard.

**broken link removed**

If you think that worth manufactures one:
https://www.ezoflash.com/ezoflash.htm

You'll find SST29EE020 in GROUP C (Small sector size 128 bytes) on this page:
https://www.ezoflash.com/adapters/plcc32a/suported_chips.htm

plcc32a_pic1.jpg

prog_plcc32a_pic2.jpg

sawwa7

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bios programator

Hi sawwa7,

My Galep programmer can program the chip, but I don't have a PLCC adapter, only a DIP socket. Any decent programmer should be able to do this, especially if you make a simple adapter from the PLCC to DIP. I think it's a 1-to-1 pin connection, but you might check the datasheet to make sure:

http://www.sst.com/downloads/datasheet/S71062.pdf

I don't mind programming it for you if you make the adapter and pay the return postage, what that costs depends where you are. I'm in the UK.

You should be able to come up with something locally though.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

build a bios programmer

hi,

i have almost the same situation .. with the same company, the GIGABYTE, but i've gotten a solution for a new pre programmed BIOS.. the only problem is, how shall i take the chip away from the motherboard ?
i have seen some some ribbon-type wire for SMDs, made of nacked thin copper wires in conrad, but i am not sure how to use them for SMDs to desold them.

i'll certainly sold a socket on the board later .. but firs i need to take it away from the board.

anyidea ?

bios chip programmer circuit

hi FoxyRick
thanks for trying help , i already have the data sheet and easy to build an adapter for plcc socket .. but u r very far away from me .if u can help me find a schematic for a programmer that can program this chip it'd be greatly appreciated .
best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.