Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impulse response of an accumulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagsee1972

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
I am a bit puzzled on what may be a simple question (only simple if you know).
To determine the impulse response for a system the input signal is replaced by the delta function.

e.g. the impulse response for the following function (system) is:

\[y[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty..x[k]\]

\[h[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty\delta[k]\]

The impulse response for the accumulator is the discrete step function u[n].

However I have seen this version of the accumulator which has its impulse response bieng u[n].

\[y[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty..x[n-k]\]

\[h[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty\delta[n-k]\]

I agree with the impulse function but can not see how it equals the discrete unit step function: u[n].

for example if n=-1, then this clearly should equal 0, however one of the deltas in the whole summation will equal 0 i.e. \[\delta[-1-(-1)]\] this will give an amplitude of 1 when n=-1. Which can not be true if the function is equal to u[n].

I would really appreciate some advice on where I am going wrong.

Woops, Looks like a made a mistake. The lower limit has to be 0, which makes perfect sense.

Hi jagsee1972,

there is something missing in

\[y[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^\infty..x[k]\]

Note that the right-side member is independent of n (i.e. y would have the same value for all times) and in addition the sum can be not convergent.
Probably you intended to write

\[y[n] = \sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}h[n-k]x[k]\]

Please check.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back