Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Importing files into Cadstar 12.1 Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhavens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can mutliple files be imported to cadstar 12.1 Express? I have a board outline, and i am trying to import a rebel es LEd file as well. I want it to be a part of the board..... Any Suggestion? I am hitting a wall, I tried to combine them in soldworks, but it doesnt work well with the layers.

The newbie,
Lee

You can only have 1 board outline in CADSTAR.

SO as long as you are not exceeding the pin/part count of CADSTAR Express you can copy/paste other designs into
a single design. I would suggest duplicating the board outline as a figure first.

okay so my next question is, can layers be imported? both on a board outline or a component part?

Could you clarify what you are umporting into the board?
What layers do you require? extra to the standard layers already present, and what usage are they for.
If you are trying to imort components from Solidworks the youd be better with IDF, if not you need to create a drawing of the board outline and the component positions, save this as a DXF and use this to import the board outline as a board outline. The component positions will have to be imported as figures onto a document layer, then used to locate components that you would have to place manualy from the Cadstar library.
Long winded, which is why the Smart use an IDF interface.:)

Simply put, no you cannot import layers.

However, if a component that you are importing uses layers not already present in the design then you will be prompted to add them or select an existing layer.

For example, you may have a layer called "top silkscreen" - if you import a component that uses "top silk" (same layer in reality - just named differently)
you can either add it (not a good idea - gets confusing) or choose to use "top silkscreen" for anything that is on "top silk" in the imported component.

Okay here is the next question, i figured out a way to simplify the imported folder. The next problem i am having is creating Thermal Via, that works with a copper pad. Any advice? i know i have to add layers, but im not sure how to get the pads to work with the copper. It considers it to be a design error.

thank you, Lee

That was extremely helpful. Thank you. Ironically though my boss say i need to learn Orcad now, He's thinks we will be using that. As they say "Back to the drawing board". Thank you so much for all your help. I am sure everything you helped me will only make the switch little less painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back