Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Implementation of PWM control for buck converter using Atmel AVX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmvalks

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am given the task of documenting some embedded C code written by a contractor who has since moved on and am having trouble understanding some scaling used in an expression for computing the PWM value required to maintain a given output voltage for a buck converter operating in discontinuous mode.

I have derived the expression given in the article en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_converter myself as a sanity check and I agree with it.
I have rearranged to get D on the left and noted that D = PWM value / MAX PWM value.
From this I have an expression for PWM in terms of the other variables as implemented int he code extract below.

The circuit is a basic FET switch with series inductor, infrared LED load (typically no more than a few hundred milliamps) with parallel capacitor
and diode -- everything is standard, just like the figure in the wikipedia article.

The implementation I have received is a C application running on an Atmel ATXMega128A1.
The system clock is running at 32MHz from the PLL.

The specific configuration for the PWM is:
the timer used is TCC1, with prescaler DIV1 (TCC1_CTRLA = 1), the period is 1600 cycles (TCC1_PER = 1599), which gives 20kHz PWM frequency with the prescaler value of 1, and the PWM is set to single slope (TCC1_CTRLB = 0x33).

The code is:
Code:
f = ( (((unsigned long)PWM_TOP * (unsigned long)PWM_TOP) >> 8) * (unsigned long)NVIS_INDUCTOR_UH ) / 1000;
    f = (f * (unsigned long)F_PWM) >> 8;
    f = f >> 4;
    //====================
    f = (f * (unsigned long)intensity) / 1000;
    f = f * (unsigned long)mean_current;  // Maximum current is 1,300mA before exceeding long size
    g = (unsigned long)power_in_mv * (unsigned long)power_in_mv;
    g = g / (unsigned long)current_scale;
    g = g - (unsigned long)power_in_mv;
    g = g >> 5;

pwm_buffer[index] = (unsigned short)sqrt((unsigned long)((unsigned long)f / (unsigned long)g));

Here,

PWM_TOP is #define 1599 (the maximum PWM value),
intensity is just a multiplier with no units, to allow the user to set the intensity of the LED through a configuration file,
mean_current is the load current in mA,
current_scale is the required load voltage in mV,
and power_in_mv is the supply voltage, nominally 12V, from a lead acid battery.

I understand the two divisions by 1000, to ensure the multipliers are balanced on top and bottom, and I understand the division by 16 and 32 (>>4 and >>5) to give the multiplier of 2 on the top.

What I don't understand is the two divisions by 256 (>>8 twice). It is as if the PWM value is scaled by 256 and when it is squared, it needs to be reduced by 256 *256. I don't see where this comes from.
I can see no other scaling factors used anywhere else in the code.

Does anyone have any idea?
I have pored over the Atmel data sheet PWM chapter looking for clues but have found nothing. I am sure it something very simple which I have overlooked.

Thank you for taking the time to read all this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back