Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Impedance using Network analyser and Agilent ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherry1

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 1 port network. i connect it to the network analyzer to measure impedance. It gives me a value R+j*X. Now i want to match it to 50 Ohms for my frequency.
I have Agilent ADS as a software tool to calculate impedance. Should I put R+j*X in Agilent ADS Smith chart utility or a conjugate of it (R-j*X).
Please see how the Smith chart utility screen. It already wants to match Zs* to Zl.
smithchart.png

Zs=50 Ohm and conjg{Zs}=50 Ohm..
What is the problem? Enter the value and match it..

If I change sides so , Zl = 50 Ohms. and Zs= 25+j60 (My measurement from Network analyzer), is it the impedance of the system or is it the conjugate that i should match to?

I get a reading of 52+j*73 from Network analyser , now should i Match 52+j*73 value to 50 OHms or 52-j*73??

Thanks for your replies. I found the answer.

In a smith chart tool, if we are moving from load to source of 50 Ohms , then we take a conjugate of destination point i.e. Source 50+j*0....
If we are moving from source of 50 Ohms to Load , we have to take a conjugate of load impedance and match it to that value.

In ADS Smith chart tool, when i enter values of Zs=50+j*0 and Zl= 52+j*73, the arc moves from load to source, and that is why Zs is written as Zs* and a conjugate of pure 50 Ohms ( 50+j*0) is still 50 ( 50-j*0)...

if your load is Zl=52 + J73, then if you were at the load looking back to the source, you should see 52 - J73. In that way the series reactance will be +J73 - j73 = 0, and your load resistance will match the source resistance for maximum power transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back