Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

impedance matching with a rectangular waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nassimovitch

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
good morning dears
need for emergency help !!!!!
I want to reach out an impedance matching between microstrip line (characterisitc imedance Zo) and rectangular waveguide ,actually is a SIW,
through a microstrip step discontinuity transition with characterisitc imedance Z1, (see the attached figure), actually I spend a lot of my time without being able to find the appropriate Z1 impedance. so I have some questions and I will be thankfull if you answear me :

1- For impedance matching, I take input impedance of rectangular waveguide as a load impedance , is this correct or not ?

2- To calculate input impedance of rectangular waveguide using hfss, I use the expression :
Zin = Z11-(Z12*Z21/(Z22+ZL)) where ZL=50 Ohm. is this correct ? if not is there any method to find Zin ?

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 162

Check this paper:
"New Design Procedure to Determine the Taper Transition for Impedance Matching Between Microstrip Line and SIW Component"

From my experience if substrate is too thick, then it was difficult to have good matching between microstrip and SIW, maybe someone can comment on why is that.

I recommend to use GCPW line to SIW transition, much better bandwidth:

Look for theirs GCPW to SIW transition picture.
It may be simplified: insets may be non-triangular, just inset with the same width as GCPW line gap.
Optimization is done by altering inset length and inset inclination angle.

In the attached document check equation (11) to find the SIW impedance.

Attachments

• Low Loss and High-Power Substrate Integrated Waveguide.pdf
    466.1 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.