Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IMD problem (RF filter) Aluminium-(Nickel+silver) plated

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandregowda

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

our RF CAVITY FILTER (MATERIAL : ALUMINIUM) plated with COPPER followed by SILVER (AG7) PLATING is passing the IMD TEST.

(Filter made of Aluminium coated with Copper followed by Silver (Ag7) plating is passing the IMD

but

RF CAVITY FILTER (MATERIAL : ALUMINIUM) plated with NICKEL followed by SILVER Plating is NOT PASSING the IMD.

how can we solve this?

Its the Nickel which is ferromagnetic. Nickel must NOT be used at all even in the connectors.

Specify white bronze plating instead for connectors which is essentially a copper-tin-zinc alloy.

Stainless steel isn't good either.

i suggest u use Electroless Nickel Plating which is nonmagnetic.

Can you give an explanation, why you expect the ferromagnetic properties to cause IMD? It's not obvious in my opinion.
Any literature references or empirical results? Thanks!

Thanks, I was able to confirm the said statements regarding nickel plating. Several manufacturers are claiming electroless
nickel plating according to MIL C-26074 assures good IMD respectively PIM (passive intermodulation) behaviour. I guess,
that an empirical test has to decide about "as good". Generally, the electroless nickel coating is promising better mechanical properties.

Why does the plating process change the magnetic properties of Nickel? Isn't that a fundamental physical property of the metal?

The safest solution is to just NOT use any Nickel at all in any application where PIM is a potential problem. The plating can then be checked easily enough with a spectrometer for traces of Nickel. Silver plating without Nickel is no more expensive.

Don't overlook the connectors either - insist on them being 100% Nickel free for both the inner pins and outer bodies.

Some data is necessary. Describe pls testing method (Power, freq). What is pass/fail level, what is IM level with Ni plating an IM level without Ni. Some nice drawings will be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.