Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Illegal offline PSU passed for use in EU

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
This offline PSU , is CE marked, indicating it is rated for all EU standards.

..however, as at 7:09, you see it is not properly PFC'd.....it is also not sealed from water ingress.
It is illegal.
How is it CE marked?

..however, as at 7:09, you see it is not properly PFC'd.....
I don't see what you're referring to at 7:09. But I suppose if you're claiming it's not "properly PFC'd" you already measured its PF yourself?
it is also not sealed from water ingress.
Is this required for CE mark? Genuine question, I do not know.

...my apologies, its at 08.30 where you see the iron cored input inductor

26.01 of the following shows this PSU in action....you can see there, its not PFCd...

a regular "joke" is to say that "CE" means "China exported" and can have no real meaning. there are a lot of fakes around nowadays. your only sure method it to buy from reputable sellers like mouser or digikey.

...my apologies, its at 08.30 where you see the iron cored input inductor

26.01 of the following shows this PSU in action....you can see there, its not PFCd...
Ok now I see what you mean. Not sure what load condition he's testing at, but those input current waveform looks terrible. It's likely a counterfeit product, unfortunately this happens a lot for videogame console and laptop power adaptors.

Thanks, yes, also, sorry but i dont know which exact spec calls out the waterproofness requirement for offline PSUs used for household consumer products. Strange that its so hard to find this sort of stuff out, when its for safety.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: