Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IIR implementation in a CPLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaf20

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all my friend
i would like to implement following simple one order IIR filter in a xc95108 .
H(z) = Y/X = K*(aZ+1)/(bZ+1)
where X are 8 bit's as input and Y as output.also,K,a and b are input's with 8 bits width .
could anyone tell me which -new-algorithm can i use to success to implement ?
any idea!
tnx

Hi,
Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like

just clock the signal:
Y <= K * a /b;
but this one looks more like H(z+1) = K*(aZ/bZ) to me!

BR,
/Farhad

in the case of H(z) i mean a typical transform function.suppose a simple and first order IIR filter with a zero at 1/a and a pole at 1/b .
all a right?
tnx

Hi,

Conver ur transfer function to difference equation
H(z) = Y/X = K*(aZ+1)/(bZ+1)

--> Difference eq.
y[n] = (1/b) *{ K*a*x[n] + x[n-1] - y[n-1]};

You can implement this one in Verilog.

as u know there is no multiplier in CPLD and include pure logic.
the difference equation u mentioned have same multiplier -and i think same logic-in contrast to my transfer function.am i right? so i think i can not save area ! ok?
any help ...
tnx my friend

Hi,
Yes its same as ur tranfer function. One more thing to be noted here..
you can design ur coefficeint to be multiplied less than 1. Viz 0.5 =1/2,
0.25 = 1/4 0.625=1/8 .....
so that instead of multiplier you can use shift operation.

You can refer to following book...
Digital Signal Processing with Field Programmable Gate Arrays
by U. Meyer-Baese

Its available here in this forum!

-nand_gates

HI Vaf,
The 95108 does not have enought macrocells and most importantly product terms to deal with this problem.

You can solve it by changing your algorithem into a pipelined code, and use an external memory to store your constants, create a state machine that does your calculation with only one multiplier and one adder.

You maybe able to do it without the memory, but it needs a lot of thinking before hand.

First, create a block to multiply 2 8 bit values. And one to do the addition.

Create a state machine to have enough steps to do your calculation one step at a time using the adder and multiplier blocks.

For example if you want to do a a*b - c*d + e

You make 5 states for the calculation, the minus, can be handled by negate the result of the operation.

I am still not convinced this can be done inside a 95108 but it will be a good practice to fix it, it is an interesting challenge to optimize your design to the smallest possible HW.

Good luck,
/Farhad

hi again
sorry for my late reply!
does anyone know which algorithm be used by synthesizer to implement '*'(multiplier) if leave it free.or even '+'(adder)?
i would like to know what's the minimum threshold for implementation in the case of area optimization ?
tnx 4 ur help

is there any method which is called serial IIR filter ?if so , let me know .
tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back