Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IE3D capacitor simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero_1969

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sirs, I simulate a simple capacitor with plates of 4x2 mm and 5um of dielectric (dielectric constant=3.8).
The 2-port PI with Shunt RC and Shunt RC model give me a correct value of 54 pf but R is 22987 Ohm.
Why R is so low? I expected a more high value.
What is R in Shunt RC model?
Thanks
Ettore.

Dear Sirs, I simulate a simple capacitor with plates of 4x2 mm and 5um of dielectric (dielectric constant=3.8).
The 2-port PI with Shunt RC and Shunt RC model give me a correct value of 54 pf but R is 22987 Ohm.
Why R is so low? I expected a more high value.
What is R in Shunt RC model?
Thanks
Ettore.

I guess the R depends on the loss of the dielectric.. Had you selected a dielectric with higher loss tangent, you would have got higher R..Equivalent R signifies the dielectric loss.

I guess the R depends on the loss of the dielectric.. Had you selected a dielectric with higher loss tangent, you would have got higher R..Equivalent R signifies the dielectric loss.

Thanks Catherine for you reply.
At first I also thought of the loss in the dielectric.
But I believe that these losses occur at high frequencies.
I simulated the capacity from 10 MHz to 100 MHz frequency range.
I tried to simulate the capacitor with different TanD(E).
The R values between two capacitor plates are (@ 10 MHz):
TanD(E)=0.05 R=5780 Ohm
TanD(E)=0.001 R= 163380 Ohm
TanD(E)=0 , so no dielectric loss , R=360000 Ohm
Still, the R value seems too low to me.
Maybe R value depends on loss tangent and something else that I don't know. :thinker:

Ettore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello everyone, no suggestions, explanation ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back