Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

identity crisis (Items appearing in home office)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beadwindow07

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
20201115_215054.jpg20201115_214843.jpg

Hi folks, I've had recent security breaches, so-to-speak and I was hoping to get some guidance on the attached photos. I found these in my home and have never owned either yet they miraculously appeared in my home office.

A.) Printing Calculator
B.) SCALE; roughly the size of pocket calculator.

I have recently had home network and cellular compromises and also found phone charger(s) that I didnt purchase, in my home that I believe produced the malware that led to the issues.

Above my paygrade but i believe these two items aren't as advertised. I appreciate the time folks and hope for some insight.

Cheers,
Edward

Attachments

• 2020-11-1521.47.573559640347777217011.jpg
    2020-11-1521.47.573559640347777217011.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 2020-11-1521.49.475659106202635344078.jpg
    2020-11-1521.49.475659106202635344078.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97

items aren't as advertised

Do you mean they appear tampered with, as though to install a listening device or wireless network? It hardly makes sense for someone to leave it in an obvious place.

There are inexpensive security cameras available nowadays. You can record 24 hours, then examine it later for evidence of intruders.

One of the items is an old fashioned ink ribbon printer and controller board, the other is part of small weighing scales. These look to be old office equipment, possibly for franking and weighing letters before posting.

Receiving un-ordered items is becoming quite a common scam. It isn't anything to do with security. Low cost items or ones that don't sell are sent to random addresses then a fake review of the item is sent to the selling platform to boost the sellers ranking. When the platform confirms the sale was genuine it sees the items really were sent to that address so it is treated as a real review. It costs the seller money to send a low cost item to you but they accept the loss in return for a boost in review ratings.

Brian.

One of the items is an old fashioned ink ribbon printer and controller board, the other is part of small weighing scales. These look to be old office equipment, possibly for franking and weighing letters before posting.

Receiving un-ordered items is becoming quite a common scam. It isn't anything to do with security. Low cost items or ones that don't sell are sent to random addresses then a fake review of the item is sent to the selling platform to boost the sellers ranking. When the platform confirms the sale was genuine it sees the items really were sent to that address so it is treated as a real review. It costs the seller money to send a low cost item to you but they accept the loss in return for a boost in review ratings.

Brian.

Brian, From an outsiders perspective, I agree wholeheartedly with both you and the gentleman who replied first. To be more specific, I didn't ever possess either item nor have any knowledge of their existence until both showed up in my home. Nobody else here.....

Do you mean they appear tampered with, as though to install a listening device or wireless network? It hardly makes sense for someone to leave it in an obvious place.

There are inexpensive security cameras available nowadays. You can record 24 hours, then examine it later for evidence of intruders.
Hey Brad, I appreciate the reply. Thats precisely what I was implying. I agree with you that there's far less legwork involved in a plethora of spy type devices but I believe Im dealing with a different animal if you will. For sport if you will in the surveillance department.

Doesn't seem to have any optical or microphone components from the image. Do you have any pets or any rodent infested in your home that could possibly bring it from outside?

Does anyone else have access to your place? Maybe someone with access is playing a joke on you.

I would definitely go with the security cameras, I'd hide them in non-obvious locations and have them record 24/7 to see who is coming in and leaving electronics around your office.

Doesn't seem to have any optical or microphone components from the image. Do you have any pets or any rodent infested in your home that could possibly bring it from outside?
I do not have a dog at the moment. My neighbor has a cat that I sat down and interrogated rather incessantly but he was clean. Or extremely calm under pressure.

Does anyone else have access to your place? Maybe someone with access is playing a joke on you.

I would definitely go with the security cameras, I'd hide them in non-obvious locations and have them record 24/7 to see who is coming in and leaving electronics around your office.
Appreciate the response brother.
Its myself alone, which further complicates/ escalates the seriousness of my dilemma.

So I did purchase cameras for the home and seem to have run into a different issue in that whoever is responsible seems to be jamming my devices. I'm skeptical in my next course of action. I've spent thousands and im still behind the curve.

Any ideas fellas aside from a standalone with dvr?

Many cheap digital cameras will do video recording
and on an AC (USB) adaptor and with a high capacity
SD card you could record for a very long time (esp.
if you lower the resolution to standard definition).
Just find some decorative object to conceal it in.

There are "pen" cameras which have pretty long
run times and could just be put in a coffee cup of
other pens, or laid on a pad of paper escaping
notice.

Many sources of EMI will "jam" WLANs. Whether this
is intentional or just rogue emissions, would need a
bit of RF detective work (spectrum analyzer, direction
finder, etc.).

Appreciate the response brother.
Its myself alone, which further complicates/ escalates the seriousness of my dilemma.
I wasn't asking if you lived alone, I was asking if there is anyone you ever gave a key to to had given a key to that might have made a copy. You never indicated that the culprit has "broken in".

I think you need to invest in a low tech hard to "jam" set of large trained Rottweilers.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but are you saying someone snuck into your house and left some items there? To spy on you? That they left in plain sight? And they also left phone chargers that, somehow, installed malware that led to "the issues"? And then they jammed your video equipment?

Forgive my skepticism, but this just isnt' happening. This sounds just a bit paranoid to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.