Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identifying type of television set

Status
Not open for further replies.

demetal

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
is there any method to identify which type of television system are we using... From circuit board... i.e., NTSC,PAL or SECAM....

Hi Dematel,

with the best of my knowledge it is not possible....As NTSC or PAL or SECAM are video system broadcast standard....meaning it deals with refresh rate ( in otherword ) frame rate....like for PAL frame rate for 50Hz and for NTSC is 60Hz.... In the design of video processor board that I had did the Video Processor that I used come with both option NTSC as well as PAL supported and software configurable....this is a reason that in case of TV remote you get select standard option.....As most of the TV sold now a days at least come with both NTSC and PAL .....Now speaking related to SECAM is a broadcast standard which is used mainly in Europ....so there connector for SECAM it self is different...so I think you can makeout SECAM is supported or not from looking at that connector itself but I think not for PAL or NTSC as they are mostly software configurable.....

with regards,

Milind

Reactions: demetal

demetal

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you consider RF receiving capability front end (RF receiving units) have different designs.
Means different tuner/analog demodulator part numbers are used for NTSC TVs and PAL/SECAM TVs. (how ever they are pin to pin compatible in general)
But most of todays TVs (in EU) can playback NTSC video from Scart or Cinch (RCA) interface.

All PAL receivers use a 4.443 MHz crystal on the colour decoder board. From memory NTSC uses a 2.56 MHz crystal. SECAM does not use one. Proper PAL receivers use a single delay line demodulator, but as Telefunken have the patent on this the Japanese got around it by using two delay lines.
Frank

Now speaking related to SECAM is a broadcast standard which is used mainly in Europ....so there connector for SECAM it self is different...so I think you can makeout SECAM is supported or not from looking at that connector itself but I think not for PAL or NTSC as they are mostly software configurable.....
Not Europe - just France & some areas outside Europe... SECAM is a television standard that (like NTSC and PAL) governs signal timing, and what method is used to mix signals like luminance, color information & synchronization together. AFAIK it doesn't say much (or even anything) about connectors to use. Don't expect TV sets sold in France to have significantly different connectors from TV sets sold in Germany, Belgium or Spain... :smile:

Also it's possible to create signals that use eg. PAL method of encoding information, but with 60 Hz (NTSC) refresh frequency. Perhaps not standard-compliant, just saying that 50/60 Hz doesn't say everything, a (PAL) TV may loose color with NTSC signal, but still display 60 Hz PAL-encoded signal okay.

When you just look at the board, indeed a crystal that's 1x, or exact multiple of colorburst frequency (NTSC: 3.58 MHz, PAL: 4.43 MHz, SECAM doesn't use a colorburst?) might be a giveaway.

Better to determine TV model & check specs, most modern TV's support both NTSC and PAL (and perhaps SECAM as well).

Just by looking at the Board, it is not possible to guess the TV system being used by this particular system.

Status
Not open for further replies.