Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify SMD Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

afedericojr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day,

I am not an electronic engineer, but I am trying to fix my Roland TD10 drum module. I just got it used, and after three hours of playing, I smelled the typical leaky capacitor smell, and sure enough, about 5 minutes later, the kick drum started distorting. I let it cool down, and it worked again for a while, but then the kick cut out completely. Now after rest, it plays for about 10 to 20 minutes and then gets distorted. I thought it would have an easy to identify capacitor with a leaky bulged top as was on other things I have replaced (e.g. PC motherboards, TV's, etc). What I found is seen below. A 10uf 25v aluminum electrolytic SMD capacitor, with only slight swelling, and I want to say it is a panasonic because of how it looks, but I need to be sure, since I don't know what the 08 means. Can someone please help me?

IMG_0116.jpg

dear
can you post the complete number written on the capacitor.
smd writing on capacitor is 105== 1uF
106== 10uF etc

From the picture it appears that the two electrolytic capacitors bellow the arrow need replacing. they are both 10uF 25V type and you should use 105 centigrade type ones.

Thank you both. I questioned if the 08 was some indicator of tolerance or operating temperature...or if it was a multiplication factor of .01, but I thought that was only for pf.

For convenience for others, the numbers displayed on the two caps are in three rows:
25v

Would I be save in using this? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...EpiMZZMukHu%2bjC5l7YUbQ3OA56ociPclI70Z2v%2bw=

Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

I also see that ESR (mOhm) and Ripple Current are a part of consideration with capacitors. I would like to choose the exact one needed, so I will have to try to find out how to test those values on a capacitor. I guess I could remove one of the good ones to be tested.

Wonderful news! Roland parts was able to find a part number in a list even though they don't carry it.
25cv10bs

Searching for that brings up two main choices:
25cv10bs - SANYO
25cv10bs(10uf25v) - SAN

I don't know if that would be the same thing, and SAN is abbreviated. The operating temp I found listed on a site was 85C, and the tolerance was +-20. I still don't know the Ohms and Ripple so I should probably just try to order this specific part rather than get an equivalent.

Does this mean that if all others (dimensions, RC, ERS) was the same, that I would be fine going with one rated for 105C? Should I try to do that anyway, since it has better heat durability and may last longer?

Thank you!

I read that capacitors do not work the same when sub-zero temperatures and cold. Some-one may bombard you with the formula to calculate temperature rise in the capacitor, maybe you like that kind of thing... If not, and you don't use that in the Arctic, I'd go for the higher temp. variety where possible.

I have not seen every circuit board there is, but all the capacitors appear to be mounted to substantial solder pads. For all we know, your two failing caps carry a few Amperes, at high frequency. The fact they are bursting implies a design lapse. Therefore it's a good idea if your replacements are rated for a higher temperature. It may prevent a recurrence.

Perhaps also (or for an alternate) the replacements ought to be physically larger, or have larger gauge leads, or better ventilation, or greater voltage rating. Such changes may not be easy to adapt to the existing circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back