Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for FPGA graduation project

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetset

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
Do you have any ideas of a good project for graduation?
I'm thinking to make a graduation project using FPGA, what do you think that would be a good project?? something using one of these topics DSP, a CPU core, a communications interface, or something that would be useful in the future for me.

thanks

fpga project

You could always check the web for Ideas. There are probably a few sites that are maintained by hobbyist where you already have projects and open-source code. For example, opencores.org is a totally open-source site, with a lot of projects. Even if you intend to create original material, the project there can really give some ideas.

Some include micro-controler core, communication controler, memory controler, crypto, video, ...

In any case, you should get some deep taughts of what you'll do as your project. Don't take something that you have no idea or experience, as you'll spend most of your project trying to learn on how it should be made, ending halfway into your project re-thinking that you should re-start all over from stratch, or if so, you can use (if permitted by your project context) some already-made core as part of your project. For example, if you have a board with an Ethernet port and a PHY, and you wish to do a project using Ethernet, you could use an already-made Ethernet core, and spend your time on the real functions of your project. Take something that is challenging, in which you'll learn something (hopefully usefull for the future :) ) and that you know you can finish before the deadlines. It all depend on your ability to learn new stuff, the time you can put into your project, and the resources you have.

Finally, read, search and talk with the hobby community :) That can really help in finding ways to implement things that you wouldn't have taught in the first place. I found in the past that one of the best way to learn is to take a project that is already completed, and look at the source code, figuring out how it's made, even if it's not closely related. That give insight on other people's work and implementation ideas. Later, when you want to implement something new, you'll see yourself more and more saying <Yes, I remember how this was implemented in that project>, instead of trying to re-invent the weel ;)

Remember that the first person who can help you... is you!

Good luck

Big Boy

Reactions: DB51

DB51

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
fpga project idea

Thanks for your advices Big Boy. My graduation would be around the ending of the next year, but I would like to start working on my project from now, so I guess I have enough time to work in a good project.

fpga ideas

You can work on fuzyy or neural controller by fpga. I think you have enough time to do this.

open source fpga projects

If you have plenty of time, instead of starting with your final project immediately, you could get a board and do some smaller projects, just to learn and get the feel of FPGA design and methodologies. Then, it will be much easier to do bigger projects, and you'll find many ideas on the way.

Try to do re-useable modules, so that if you do your final project later, you'll find it handy if you already have some modules that's already made, and that you know how it work, as you designed them yourself.

I did that in the past, not for FPGA, but for micro-controler project, and made some nice projects more quickly because I re-used some older code I made before.

Marying micro-controler and FPGA can also be very powerfull. You have a stable, off-FPGA, processor. So if you have a problem yith the processor, you know it's the software, and not the the processor core.

I have to say that the projects I like the most to do is to design some boards, and control them via a regular PC (via a standard parallel port or USB).

Parallel port is easy to use. USB can also be really easy, or really complicatd, depending on what you use. Me, I got some USB modules that use FTDI chips. FTDI provide drivers, so the only thing you do is plug the module to a micro-controler, connect it to PC, and on PC, you call a function to send some byte, and on micro-controler, you read the bytes. And vice-versa. No USB stack or protocol to bother at all :)

neural fpga project

Hey, visit www.xess.com for bunch of FPGA university projects from all around the world.

delay (delayed by technology)

fpga projects ideas

I already have a FPGA board, it has an Altera FLEX10K10, 84 pins. I have been doing some basic projects with combinational logic, and sequential logic, also VGA signal generation. Have used serial RS-232 but haven't used parallel or USB with microcontrollers. I use 68HC08 microcontrollers, I have done many projects with them. I also got a DSP56824 evaluation module (DSP module) and that's what I'm learning now. So basically that's all my relevant hardware hehe.

dsp and fpga projects

In my research room,there are many experiments depedence on FPGA.
It's much useful on any research project,
I am sure that it is very good tool,
It is convenient and easy for ur project.

source code fpga neural project

FPGA is good for low price product. for high-end product. FPGA is not a good choice. we use FPGA for ic design verification.

dsp fpga projects

I would recomend a project with embedded systems specially with some famous RTOS.

big fpga project

I think here the most important is not FPGA design. First, we should find what system you want to design and what you could do. FPGA is just the platform to do the thing.
If you have nothing to do, just need a student board and play it, you need a newest FPGA, a DSP processor from AD or TI, a risc CPU on your board.... though in fact you could do everything in FPGA.

challenging fpga projects

Guys for my project I want to design cpu core(small RISC CPU),
optionally for future I would like tweak tiny linux distro(or any other small RTOS) to run on
this toy computer.
kindly suggest a board(cost range: 80-100$),OS or any other knowledge related to design

fpga project ideas

Well I have been looking around some projects and I found that there are many interesting things to select from. I liked these projects:

1. Design of a CPU core.
2. DSP using FPGA
3. Design of a communication device...

Status
Not open for further replies.