Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Clone Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaremeth

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
icd2 clone known problems

Hi all,

I am trying to use ICD2 Clone created by **broken link removed**. My circuit has PIC16F876A, MAX232CPE, BC557, BC547, X-tal 20MHZ.... My PIC16F876A is loaded the ICD661.HEX for bootloader.

First, I have used 16F818 for testing and MPLAB7.30. In MPLAB, I set my com port to COM1 with 56Kb Boudrate. I also disable FIFO Mode and set the com port setting in "57600,8,none,1,hardward". You can see in Picture2&3.

• Picture 4&5 show when MPLAB connects to ICD2 Clone and read the status. I think it is very good result, everthing is passed.

Picture 6 shows the com port setting in MPLBA. I use COM1 with 56kb.

Picture 7, the connecting message is presented. MPLAB and ICD2 Clone can see the target chip in this case is 16F818.

Picture 8, when I am trying to program, there are message error shown. It is about "ICD0031: API Framing Error:". And some mesg about "ICD0152". I don't know what is wrong with my circuit.

Picture9, after trying several reprograms, sometimes the programming is worked. but not all, there still have some error like Picture8.

Please help me for this case, I would like to fix this program. The circuit of ICD2 Clone is connected on Bread board. I don't think that the problem is comming from this connection in bread board. Anyway, if someone has some idea or suggestion. please advise me.......

icd0031: api: framing error

You can post schema go to forum ???

api framing error

is the target power supply grounding?
is the PC grounding?
is the grounding between the ICD2 and the target good?

icd0031

are said:
is the target power supply grounding?
is the PC grounding?
is the grounding between the ICD2 and the target good?

Of course, I rechecked it is completely grounded PC, ICD2, and Target.

icd 0031: api: framing error

try a lower baud rate

microchip api framing error

are said:
try a lower baud rate

Thanks .... I fond the interesting about RS-232 ICD2. I have one of real ICD2 from Microchip..... When I've used the RS-232 ICD2 mode, I got the same problem with our ICD2 Clone. When I tried to download large program, for example 0x00-0x3ff. It will be crashed sometimes, but for small download (0x00-0x1ff) it is passed and verified good. I think that this is the general conflict that Microchip cannot solve too. I can have a conclusion that we can use RS-232 ICD2 clone only small progamming....... Do u agree with me.....?

icd2 clone picture

I use a ICD2 clone with RS-232 and I have test it with large programs ( more than 3FF).

So I think you have a problem with your RS232. maybe the level is not correct or the cable too long.

Are you using a laptop? In that case sometimes the level is between 0v and 5v instead -10 / +10 .

So you can see there is a framing error. That means you miss some information in the RS232 frame. This is possible when the baud rate is not exact (576xx 57600) or the level is not correct or there is noise on the line or…….

Its also possible that the frequentie of the xtal on the ICD2 is not exact.

You can tray a lower baud rate for testing.

icd0031 api framing error

are said:
I use a ICD2 clone with RS-232 and I have test it with large programs ( more than 3FF).
You can tray a lower baud rate for testing.

Are.... I think like urs. I have used PC for testing ICD2.... I am trying to test on Laptop too. Baudrate i used is set slowest as possible as MPLAB allows (19,200). I don't think that the Xtal is problem because both of real ICD2 and Clone have a trobule. However, I will try to change the PC for rechecking again. Thanks for your advise.

icd2 clone laptop problem

Hoi,
I have de same problems now. I have solved it.
I have place a cap (1000p) between pin 2 and 6 of de ICD on the target site.
I have disconnect pin B3 (targed pic).

After a lot of test its still ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.