Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC5.0.33 under Linux 7.2 , 8 : display error : 8 bit psuedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

javi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
we were running our IC446 in solaris . now we migrated to Linux. I tried to install IC5 in redhat 7.2 .
after sourcing cshrc file invoking ICFB gives the error:
""Unable to find 24bit color or 8 bit pseudo color ""
i tried same in the Redhat 8.o . Same error .
i am naive to linux. is it display problem with OS display settings

Re: IC5.0.33 under Linux 7.2 , 8 : display error : 8 bit psu

cadence run only in 8 or 24 bit.....change you display setings for 8 or 24 bit color

Dear all,

i have same problem as javi, and after i have changed the display setting to 8bit,it is ok now. however i'm not very happy with the graphic result, i try to change it to 24-bit, but when i log out, there is some graphical problems, so i have to stick with 8-bit.

i'm now using VESA(generic) driver, but my graphic card is Intel 82845 integrated card. I've downlaod the driver from intel, and i've "rpm" the driver in terminal, but i still could not get the driver run, anyone has any know how to set it?

FYI, i'm using REDHAT 8.0

regards,
smart

Try to edit the file XFConfig86-4 in directory /etc

In section "Device" modify "Driver" entry to read "i810"

Or run Xconfigurator, select "Intel 830""

at the end of the file add:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
End Section

yeechyan said:
Try to edit the file XFConfig86-4 in directory /etc

In section "Device" modify "Driver" entry to read "i810"

at the end of the file add:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
End Section

hi yeechyan and all,

i've try to edit /etc/X11/ XFConfig86

1. In section "Device" modify "Driver" entry to read "i810"
2. and at the end of the file it has alredy had:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
End Section

the change is shown below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "VESA driver (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 8
SubSection "Display"
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However i still could not make the driver run. Does anyone has the same problem with VMWARE ? how to solve?
regards,
smart

Before i have this question. you can select others sytle of linux,for example GNOME.

Ah VMWare. You can't just install the driver. VMware sets up a "VMWARE video driver". You guest operating system can't see your true videocard. The best you can do (short of installing a dual boot system) is to install the VMWare Tools. These will atleast give you SVGA, which will run better than the stock "video card".

Hope this helped. Write back if you have other problems.

|IAngel| said:
Ah VMWare. You can't just install the driver. VMware sets up a "VMWARE video driver". You guest operating system can't see your true videocard. The best you can do (short of installing a dual boot system) is to install the VMWare Tools. These will atleast give you SVGA, which will run better than the stock "video card".

Hope this helped. Write back if you have other problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi IAngel,

I agree with what you have mentioned. I have also tried to install the VMWare Tools, however, once i have installed the tools,my mouse went crazy, i could not control it, I suspect it is incompletible with the tools. Anyone knows how to solve this?

regards,
smart

I ever have the same problem.You can solve a problem by install the XFree86.Then change your display setting to 24bit.Good luck.

always@smart said:
hi IAngel,

I agree with what you have mentioned. I have also tried to install the VMWare Tools, however, once i have installed the tools,my mouse went crazy, i could not control it, I suspect it is incompletible with the tools. Anyone knows how to solve this?

regards,
smart

Which version of VMWAre are you running? The older toolboxes are filled with bugs and mice not working/vid going crazy are well documented problems. I'm using Beta 5 RC3 and it works beautifully with mine HW. I even got dual monitor support working in it...

Let me know and I'll see if I can suggest anything ^_^

Hi IAngel,

i still haven't solved the problem, i almost want to give up. =(.

FYI, i'm using VMware-workstation-4.5.2-8848 version. I have another friend using the same version, but he run the vmtool without any problems. i suspect it might be the hardware problem, not so sure. once again, i'm using Intel integrated 82845 graphic chip.

thanks in advance.

regards,
smart

Have you made a new partition for your RH8.0, if you did this then it is not a VMWARE installation of Linux.
So the problem should not be the VMWARE tools you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.