Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC Layout Tools, Magic, LASI, Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishore2k4

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lasi layout

Hi,

I am just getting started with IC Layout and design. I looked around for something that is free and is in use. The following are what I found.

-> LASI
-> Alliance CAD
-> Magic

Here is my view on them and I want your opinion. The first one(LASI) is the only windows based CAD tool I found that actually is used a lot by academia and some industrial projects too. Its usage and design are very much clearly explained in the book "CMOS Layout Design and Simulation by Baker,Li,Boyce". The book is excellent reference for IC layout.

The latter two run on Linux. Alliance CAD is really awesome. It has got plethora of tools with it and very easy to install. It has got its own standard cell library and automatic place and route tools. Oh did I mention that it can only do digital designs. compile,synthesize,place & route. If you need analog design tools check out Cairo etc. They are also available on Alliance CAD website.

It seems that Magic is extensively used in some US universities(USC) but I couldn't get rpm files for it. I installed Linux just to run these linux based EDA tools and I am not sure if I can install from source files and stuff.

Bottom Line, If you are just getting started or only into Digital Design go for Alliance CAD and for Custom Layout try LASI or Magic. I am not sure about Magic but LASI interface needs somewhat "getting used to".

I really appreciate your opinions and corrections.

cheers,
kishore.

lasi, magic

Hi kishore,
since u have used alliance, i'd like to know about some features of alliance. i also used alliace, but regarding vasy and other set of tools, i find it difficult to do some optimizations. have u done anything similar ? or have u been able to change the library for ur design ? expecting ur reply asap.

lasi electric

Hi,
check out microwind. it consists of two tools. one for schematic entry and spice simulation and the other one for layout. it has nice features like e.g. 3-D view.
http://www.microwind.org
greetings,
hqqh

ps: it is windows based and has some design kits.

magic layout tool linux

yes microwind is also a very good tool to start learning layout but u cannot convert your layout into any industry formats like LEF. initially start with microwind, there is also one more free tool called ELECTRIC using which u can draw as well as simulate.

to download electric try the foll link " https://cmosvlsi.com/electric022403.zip "

also try in this website https://cmosvlsi.com
u can get lot of info regarding LASI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back