Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IAR linker question(force RAM locations to fixed areas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckuecker

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IAR linker question

Hello,

Has anyone used the IAR linker to force RAM locations to fixed areas? I am working with a Luminary 6965 processor that has a boot loader in the lower section of flash, and an application above it.

I don't want the application to use the RAM area the bootloader needs. I would like to define a small area at the start of RAM and have the linker put all the bootloader variables in there. I've tried defining boot and application RAM sections:

Code:
(in the .icf file)
define region BOOT_SRAM = mem:[from 0x20000000 size 0x10];
define region APP_SRAM = mem:[from 0x20000010 to 0x2000ffff];

then...

place at start of BOOT_SRAM {readwrite section bootdata};
place in APP_SRAM {readwrite, block HEAP};

I've used similar constructions to lay out the flash areas for the bootloader and application, and they work correctly. The RAM placement does not - the linker puts the bootloader's RAM into the app area, and does not use the first 0x10 bytes of RAM at all.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Chuck Kuecker

Status
Not open for further replies.