Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C TV Tuner modules...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i2c tv tuner

Anyone used a simple to interface TV tuner for embedded applications?

Should be:

1. Available in small/single quantities (o;
2. Direct CVBS/Audio output (don´t like to fuck up RF stuff ;o)
3. Inexpensive
4. Available in Europe

tv tuner i2c

Hi,

did that years ago with some Philips tuners (do not remeber the type in the moment).

You could talk to the device via I2C and the tuner had video and audio outputs, if I remeber correct the device was not really cheap.

I will look in my archive if I can find anything about this tuner and will report latest on monday.

best regards

i2c tv

davorin said:
Anyone used a simple to interface TV tuner for embedded applications?

Should be:

1. Available in small/single quantities (o;
2. Direct CVBS/Audio output (don´t like to fuck up RF stuff ;o)
3. Inexpensive
4. Available in Europe

1. You can get most as samples, what tuner will you use?
2. You can get most tuners to output baseband at 600-800mV PP, tap off to audio demodulator and then take baseband, through filter, simple buffer for video amplifier and you will get your 1vp-p audio out.

Tuner is I2C controlled.

3. Depends how much samples you can get for free :D
4. Some tuners for analogue are country specific, so you need to specify more (VHF/UHF/PAL.....)

For audio take the baseband tap and use something like TBA229 or UPD645x or a good one would be TDA6160

However, many surplus analogue sat receivers use a STV0056A as the AV processor (including stereo) and is I2C controlled. However you could use this for analogue TV instead of sat TV as the input is baseband. So under I2C control (and ST also supply a PC software for control) all you would need is add code for the tuner.

The PC interface side is a 74LS05 on the parallel port to go from parallel to I2C, thast it.

If you search my posts I think i uploaded some C code for the 0056 somewhere :wink: :wink:

Any problems let me know.

This stuffs easy (including the RF if inclined that way :lol: ) , now VHDL, to me thats hard !

:R

tuner iic data bytes

Sorry, forgot to ask

Is your idea to use the data in the digital domain?

or do you just want PC controlled receiver, or have it stand alone with pic to use on a CVBS monitor?

tv tuner module ic s

Final target is for a FPGA based LCD/VGA interface to display either PAL/NTSC video sources from other boards I have and also use a small TV module...so it's analog domain...digital comes later...

..but in Verilog (switched over from VHDL ;o)

i2c communication tv tuner

Could you not take baseband directly from tuner, take 2 taps and feed through (one with lpf for audio and use 2 x ADC and take directly?

What are you using for analogue to FPGA , SAA711x for CVBS and something like CS5340 for stereo Audio A/D?

pal tv tuner module +i2c

davorin said:
digital comes later...

..but in Verilog (switched over from VHDL ;o)

All text based, too much information to keep in head at same time :lol:

Graphical drafting and wires works better for me :wink:

tv tuner i2c

Check out this brand new ultra compact chip based TV tuner:
**broken link removed**
This looks like a very very prominsing device and ulta compact and low power.
Ideal for portable devices.
I saw an article about this new on-chip soloution a month ago and is considering to make a TV tuner for my laptop.

I used to work for a well known TV/Hi-Fi vendor which uses Philips I2C TV tuners, so maybe I can help you with some hints or schematics.

digital tv i2c tuner

Philips tuners are very common among TV manufactures (not only Philips own TVs) and they are often used for PC tuner card too.
But I haven't seen any tuners with direct CVBS and Audio output.
You need to use SAW filters for the sound + an external Philips IC + Nicam / A2 stereo decoder + some other external parts.
The different PAL standards has different sound carrier frequencies, so you need to switch between different SAW filters to make a multi standard tuner. The carrier frequnecies for the audio signal is a little below or over 6MHz depending on the standard which are used in the country.

But you don't mention waht kind of tuner you need.
There are more than 10 different TV standards around the world.
The three main groups are:
PAL (Western Europe and UK)
NTSC (America and Japan)
Secam (Eastern Europe and France + parts of Switzerland)

The France Secam standard are different than the Eastern Europeans Secam Standard.

NTSC are also different in Japan than in America I think.

PAL are different in UK (PAL I) than at the continent (PAL B/G)

I you google for "TV Standards PAL SECAM NTSC" you will find info about all the different standards and where they are used.

I think you should take a close look at Xceive chip tuners instead, this will make the design much much simple.
The brilliant thing about the Xceive IC is that it is all integrated in a single IC, so you don't need a big screened tuner box anymore.
Just connect the antenna socket directly to the IC.
This is a brand new product, and the first product from this new founded company, so you can't even find data sheetes at their web site yet.

::product Detail

Introduction:
As the world evolves from analog TV to digital TV, Xceive's patent-pending RF-to-baseband transceivers will make the transition faster, more cost effective, and with improved quality. The XC3028 is the first commercially available RF-to-baseband receiver IC for TVs and set top boxes.

Xceive's breakthrough patent-pending ClearViewTM technology provides a powerful combination of high dynamic range with a large tunable range uniquely enabling a superior pictures from of off-air applications.
Supported output formats include NTSC, PAL, SECAM, as well as digital standards including ATSC (DTV) 8-VSB, DVB-T, DVB-C, ISDB-T, QAM, and DOCSIS.

Applications:

Analog and Digital TV

Set top boxes

VCR and PVR

Home gateways

Multimedia PCs

Features:

Standard specific ClearViewTM digital picture carrier recovery:
- Alignment-free
- Quartz-stable and accurate
- No externally tunable parts

Small footprint,

Low power dissipation

Multi-standard RF-to-baseband receiver
- Onboard digital processing for the following analog standards: B/G, D/K, I, L/L' and M/N
- Supports digital demodulation of DVB-C, DVB-T, ATSC, and DOCSIS.

Reduces amount of external components and system cost.

Standard specific digital video/audio splitting

Fully integrated receiver with mixers, frequency synthesizers, VCOs, on-chip low-noise amplifier, and serial interface, Integrated SAW filter

Excellent adjacent channel rejection

Low noise

44-pin MLF

No manually tunable parts required

For further Information

tuner control i2c

void ChnlSet(Byte ii)
{
Word jj;
Byte Tunertemp;
//Byte byBandSel;
//Puts_UART ("DevTuner =FQ1236_NTSC \r\n");

if (byCurTunerTune>=50)
{
Tunertemp = byCurTunerTune-50;
jj=(ChnlDat[ii])*16+Tunertemp;
}

if (byCurTunerTune <50)
{
Tunertemp = 50-byCurTunerTune;
jj=(ChnlDat[ii])*16-Tunertemp;
}

//jj=(ChnlDat[ii])*16;

Start();
Write(0xC0);
//CH Data
Write(HIBYTE(jj));
Write(LOBYTE(jj));
Write(0xC6);
//BankSwitch
if (ChnlDat[ii]<200) {
Write(0x01);
}
else if (ChnlDat[ii] < 480 ) {
Write(0x02);
}
else {
Write(0x04);
}
Write(0x40);
Stop();
//Puts_UART ("(Byte)(jj>>8)="),HexToStr((Byte)(jj>>8)),Puts_UART(byStr),Puts_UART("\r\n");
//Puts_UART ("JJ="),HexToStr((Byte)(jj)),Puts_UART(byStr),Puts_UART("\r\n");
//Puts_UART ("byBandSel"),HexToStr(byBandSel),Puts_UART(byStr),Puts_UART("\r\n");
for (jj=0;jj <2000; jj++);
}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back