Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to use Verilog “Syntax 2001 or 1995” to bulid a counter purely combinational

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhamadamru

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is my first question here and i hope to find an answer , otherwise i will fail this material ^_^ Screenshot 2015-04-17 22.35.07.pngScreenshot 2015-04-17 22.35.19.png .

Our prof gives us this homework which is much advanced than what we learn and we have to do it , i don't know how to make a counter without using clk "sequntial circuits ", but he asked us to use just combinational circuits , this is what he needs :

// Circuit description:

The blackblock32 circuit counts the number of "black" blocks inside a given vector. A block of contiguous bits is "black" if it has at least two bits, all bits are logic 1, and its neigbours are logic 0 bits. If a "black" block touches the right edge of the vector, its right neigbour is supposed to be a logic 0 bit. The input vector is 32 bits wide. The output of the circuit is the number of "black" blocks. The circuit's interface comprises the 32 bit data input (vector), one additional 1 bit input used for the extension to the left (the left neigbour of the vector's MSB), and a 4 bit output. Example 1
inputs: 0 00001111000000111111000001111110 outputs: 0011 3 "black" blocks

A (6 points) Design in Verilog the combinational logic circuit that implements the blackblock32 function. The interface of the blackblock32 module is given in the table below: name bits meaning din 32 data vector left 1 extension bit from the left nr_black 4 number of "black" blocks

B (4 points) Design in Verilog the combinational circuit blackblock128 that implements the same function for a 128-bit vector, using multiple instances of functional blocks of blackblock32 type, and a subblock that processes only the outputs of the blackblock32 subblocks. The LSB from each 32-bit subvector is the extension bit used for processing the 32-bit subvector to its right. This way, any "black" block that extends beyond the border of a subvector is counted only once. The maximum number of "black" blocks inside a 128-bit vector is 43. The interface of blackblock32 module is given below: name bits meaning din 128 data vector left 1 extension bit from the left nr_black 6 number of "black" blocks

Thanks in advance .

This is my first question here and i hope to find an answer , otherwise i will fail this material ^_^View attachment 116609View attachment 116610 .

Our prof gives us this homework which is much advanced than what we learn and we have to do it , i don't know how to make a counter without using clk "sequntial circuits ", but he asked us to use just combinational circuits , this is what he needs :

// Circuit description:

The blackblock32 circuit counts the number of "black" blocks inside a given vector. A block of contiguous bits is "black" if it has at least two bits, all bits are logic 1, and its neigbours are logic 0 bits. If a "black" block touches the right edge of the vector, its right neigbour is supposed to be a logic 0 bit. The input vector is 32 bits wide. The output of the circuit is the number of "black" blocks. The circuit's interface comprises the 32 bit data input (vector), one additional 1 bit input used for the extension to the left (the left neigbour of the vector's MSB), and a 4 bit output. Example 1
inputs: 0 00001111000000111111000001111110 outputs: 0011 3 "black" blocks

A (6 points) Design in Verilog the combinational logic circuit that implements the blackblock32 function. The interface of the blackblock32 module is given in the table below: name bits meaning din 32 data vector left 1 extension bit from the left nr_black 4 number of "black" blocks

B (4 points) Design in Verilog the combinational circuit blackblock128 that implements the same function for a 128-bit vector, using multiple instances of functional blocks of blackblock32 type, and a subblock that processes only the outputs of the blackblock32 subblocks. The LSB from each 32-bit subvector is the extension bit used for processing the 32-bit subvector to its right. This way, any "black" block that extends beyond the border of a subvector is counted only once. The maximum number of "black" blocks inside a 128-bit vector is 43. The interface of blackblock32 module is given below: name bits meaning din 128 data vector left 1 extension bit from the left nr_black 6 number of "black" blocks

Thanks in advance .

Hi,

What do you mean by "use only combinational circuits"?. Design at the RTL level is typical practice in modern digital design. RTL is a register transfer level which include combinational circuits and register (sequential circuits).

if you look at the hints and note he said that all circuits are purely combinational , the problem is we are newbie in these filed as students and the homework is very hard for us this is after only one month of knowing about verilog .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back