Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to improve this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unbuildpain

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
While looking at things to use as a magic tricks, one person suggested this

The device can make tube lights and other lights glow without them being connected to electricity. I want to improve this device to make it effective from 10 cm away. What can I add to it? Will just adding a 100kV voltage converter do the trick?

What is the purpose of the spiral thing? Is it crucial to success or can I leave it as a straight wire? If I want to increase it's effectiveness, how can I add more such spirals to the design, I want to add 10 spirals for each of my fingers, they'll be hidden under gloves, is there any risk of shock from the spirals?

Those of us who understand these things are having a good laugh at the idea of fitting this in a glove.
All it does is produce a high voltage, it will actually work better if the spiral is unwound and the wire shaped to a sharp point. It works by ionizing the air around the end of the wire and in close proximity to fluorescent tubes or noen lights it will make them light up. The drawback is it has very short range but there is already a risk of it internally 'flashing over', as the voltage is increased the risk gets higher. To make it work in a glove at say 100KV each of your fingers would have to be at least 20cm away from each other which would make the glove a bit difficult to build!

Do not believe everything you see on the internet. At least half the videos of projects like this are fake or make claims that do not stand up to scrutiny.

Brian.

By flashing over, do you mean it will cause fire or something else? Internally meaning inside the circuit with voltage converter?

Fire - possibly but arcing certainly. As the voltage increases you need to place more distance or better insulation between the parts. Most likely it would simply spark internally between its own components and destroy them. What I meant about gloves is your fingers would have to be about 20cm away from the finger tips to stop you being badly burned by the heat from the arc. There is no way you can construct gloves like that and fit your hand in them.

Brian.

This seems similar to EMP jammer, do they also light up bulbs, etc?

Would an EMP's field extend if I were to wind another secondary coil on the primary coil connected to the circuit?

When I was young in my first apartment, I made a fan with an old motor I found. The motor had brushes that sparked badly.
Then the RF cops detected my fan and almost arrested me. They said that my fan was causing radio and TV interference to hundreds of people and took it away.
Your arcing circuit will also cause interference to radios, TVs, police and ambulance communications and maybe airplane communications.
Many receivers have a sensitivity that is much higher than the cell phone that you want to jam.

When I was young in my first apartment, I made a fan with an old motor I found. The motor had brushes that sparked badly.
Then the RF cops detected my fan and almost arrested me. They said that my fan was causing radio and TV interference to hundreds of people and took it away.
Your arcing circuit will also cause interference to radios, TVs, police and ambulance communications and maybe airplane communications.
Many receivers have a sensitivity that is much higher than the cell phone that you want to jam.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This is not about signal jamming but EMP jammer.

The extremely high voltage will cause an arc which will cause illegal communications interference.
The EMP Jammer video says that "this device is banned in many countries, can cause trouble with the law and cause electronic devices to go crazy".

You have brought on the term "EMP jammer" which creates a relation between both threads. Surely any kind of high voltage discharge is generating RF interference and potentially disturbs radio devices.

Those of us who understand these things are having a good laugh at the idea of fitting this in a glove.
All it does is produce a high voltage, it will actually work better if the spiral is unwound and the wire shaped to a sharp point. It works by ionizing the air around the end of the wire and in close proximity to fluorescent tubes or noen lights it will make them light up. The drawback is it has very short range but there is already a risk of it internally 'flashing over', as the voltage is increased the risk gets higher. To make it work in a glove at say 100KV each of your fingers would have to be at least 20cm away from each other which would make the glove a bit difficult to build!

Do not believe everything you see on the internet. At least half the videos of projects like this are fake or make claims that do not stand up to scrutiny.

Brian.

The dreamers and developers are holding on to this world
Sometimes banal simple things can create ingenious creations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back