Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i want to drive a stepper motor at 8K rpm is that realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I dont know if is possible to drive a stepper motor at 8-10k RPM without missing steps and overheating .. Is that realistic ? CAN YOU HELP?

Re: i want to drive a stepper motor at 8K rpm is that realis

This is very high. Check the data sheet for your information. Stepping motors are stepped between adjacent angles and stopped there. If you try to step too fast, the rotational inertia of the motor will carry it beyond the desired d theta/ d time rate and you will get pot luck on the shaft angle.

I once amused myself by taking a set of three phase synchros and giving the transmitter part a sharp twist which exceeded the system d theta/d time limit and the output indicator would rev up to high rotational speed.

I don't think it is possible. You cannot energize the field that fast and produce enough energy to move the shaft. Even if you drive it the field at 8K the shaft will not rotate. Most high speed motion is done with DC motors and encoders if exact movement is required. There is of course a ramp up/down speed with DC. And if you want to hold a single posistion like a stepper their are ways to do that too.

Reactions: ismu

ismu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

can you indicate me a good source of information as well as some good a "free" simulation tools

Thanks to you all

These speeds are easily obtained with new steppers. You'll likely have to use current drive mode, and accuracy and torque will suffer a bit.

I've seen references using older high-torque steppers running at 2000 rpm, and then using a gearbox to get the higher rpm (with reduced torque).

Try https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=stepper+motor+rpm&fr=ieas

8000 rpm = 133.3 rps

assuming u r using a 1.8°/step motor, i.e., 200 step/rev --> u need 200 * 133.3 = 26660 step/sec. This is extremely high. I think u can not acheive this steps rate easily. Also, for very high speeds, u will have to trade off any torque for this high speed.

can u explain the application in brief?

Reactions: ismu

ismu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back