Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to power industrial computer with 50m cable. What to use, 220 or 12v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all! I need to power small computer (12v 4a), which is 50 meters away from nearest 220v power box. What would be better solution, put 50 meters rvv3 0.5mm with 300v/500v isolation, and then 220to12v power supply near computer, or 50 meters 12v cable? some rvv2. It seems 220v would be best solution (interference, efficiency). If use 12v cable , need to put some filtering before PC, and cannot use additional 220v fan..

You can answer the question yourself by calculating the required cross section for a 12 V cable. I end up with more than 10 mm² for 5 % voltage drop.

i see. How about rvv3 x 0.5mm^2 (300/300v isolation) at 220v 0.3A?

The 220V cable voltage drop is quite small, even if the power supply isn't PF-corrected and has a higher input current, let's say 1 A.

There's howver a special point that should be observed. Due to the high cable resistance (about 3.5 ohms loop resistance), the switch board fuse will only slowly trip in case of a short circuit. If it's a ground fault, the case of the remote computer exposes e.g. 110V before the fuse trips. A low rated fuse or even better a RCD should be used to protect the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back