Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to design a microstrip patch antenna (2.1-2.4 GHz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

tame_whale

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
antenna...asking?

Hi every body
Guys I need to design a microstrip patch antenna with range of 2.1GHz to 2.4GHz
and choose a useful gain with 20W Rf amplifier to get a high quality signal with long distance. also i ask for which frequency range can i use for NLOS in coverage area of 5 Km².

Re: antenna...asking?

First of all the microstrip patch antenna pattern is not omnidirectional, so the antenna cannot cover a circle surface.

A circle with area of 5 km² have the radius of 1.26 km. The free space path loss at 2.4GHz for 1.26km is approximately 102dB.
This should be your starting point for the link budget analysis to determine the antenna needs.

For 2.4GHz (I am asuming 802.11) the minimum
signal would be about -85 dBm. For 20 W( 43 dBm)
and a gain of an antenna of 0 dBi(asuming) the
allowed path loss would be 43+85 = 128 dB. That
is not a problem. The problem is to find the antenna
to allow 20 W(is not much of a problem), but the
second problem is if the regulation entity will allow
that much EIRP in that system. Depend on the
country.

Dear Vfone I Know that the Microstrip patch antenna is not an omnidirectional so I ask for non line of sight case .... which antenna we can prefer to use in this case with good radiation pattern?

Dear jallem i ask also which range of frequencies we can use to cover 5 km² in non line of sight case?

in the last i ask for how to design this suggested antenna with suggested range?

thanks alot

Any of the frequencies you specified (2.1GHz to 2.4GHz) is ok to cover 5km2 area.

For antenna that you can use check this topic:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back