Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to convert 110V Hi-Fi to 220V (Sony).. Put your ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad_abdulghany

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I just bought a SONY Hi-Fi HCD-EC55 from USA, but unfortunately, it works only on 120V (110V) whereas at my country we have only 220V.

I opened the case and have seen multi-tap to multi-tap transformer whose some input taps are not connected. I guess that it's possible to convert it my own if i could understand how does this transformer work.

I HOPE that i can find the circuit diagram of my Hi-Fi or even any SONY hi-fi power circuit.. I think they'll be very close to each other..

Any help please??
Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
Ahmad

Re: I need to convert 110V Hi-Fi to 220V (Sony).. Put your i

Basically, most today's equipment is designed for unified 115 and 230 volts, some have an additional 100 volts option. To utilize the nominal power capacity of transformer for the lower voltage, you usually have two 115 volts windings in parallel. Connecting these two windings in series instead enables your device for 230 V operation.

I append an example circuit of 115/230 volts selcetion by a switch.

39_1204555374.gif

Thanks, your schematic is quite clear.. but actually i don't have such selection switch.. I believe that it's possible to convert the transformer to work on 220 (or 230V) instead of current 115V even with no need for extra components.. I just wanna know connections of the transformer and need to it.. Or in other words, i need to be aware of its internal connections..

Besides, I have two transformers, one is large and multitaped (I guess it's the one you pointed to above), and the other is smaller (i think it is just a switching transformer).

Do you have any ideas about how can i follow-up??

Thanks again, and best regards,
Ahmad

I did understand, that you have no selection switch, I just had this circuit available. But if an internal voltage selection option exists, the transformer would have basically the same circuit on the primary. You should be able to identify two windings in a parallel circuit connected to to the power cord (probably with the mains switch and a fuse in between). If the transformer doesn't have two primary windings in parallel, or you are unable to identify the circuit, I would use an external autotransformer.

A transformer with dual windings exists, but it seems that they had cut the wire connecting the outer winding to outside world!! So I most propable will use an external transformer! :(

What does "autotransformer" mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

An autotransformer is an electrical transformer with only one winding. The winding has at least three electrical connection points called taps. The voltage source is applied to two taps and the load is connected to two taps one of which is usually a common connection that is also connected to the source. Each tap corresponds to a different source or load voltage. In an autotransformer a portion of the same winding effectively acts as part of both the primary and secondary winding.

Autotransformer is the usual term for a transformer with one tapped winding, e.g. 230 V with a center tap at 115 V. It has no galvanic isolation but is only half size of a regular (insulation) transformer and is generally used for conversion of different mains voltages.

Or just put a simple 2:1 ratio transformer between the mains and the hifi, with a 5AMP current rating just to be safe, unless u r concerned with its power losses and efficiency issues

What does "autotransformer" mean?
some people call it a step-down transformer

if you can post some pics of the internal transformer

tr1: Ordinary Transformer
tr2: Autotransformer

Here is a simple idea from the top of my head. If you know what the VA rating of the transformer is. Lets say it is 60VA. Take a 120Watt 220V filament lamp and put it in series with the transformer. You should drop the excess 110VAC over the lamp. You can confirm this with your meter. The correct way will be to get a 220 to 110 step down transformer. You may see brightness modulation with the lamp method. Hey, your own disco light!

As mentioned unless the Hi-Fi was made just for the US market it should have tappings for other voltages. Often they wire the two 110V windings in parallel. You will have to rewire them for 220V. Just make sure you get the phase correct

Pretty good joke! Or did you try with your own equipment?

May be a joke to you but if that is all you have to your disposal it can be made to work within certain limitations. Think outside the box. Of course you should know what you are doing. I said the correct way will be to select the correct tappings or a step down transformer didn't I?

My good old Professor in Engineering school used to say "Just make it work!" when students complained about lack of resources.

E-design said:
Here is a simple idea from the top of my head. If you know what the VA rating of the transformer is. Lets say it is 60VA. Take a 120Watt 220V filament lamp and put it in series with the transformer. You should drop the excess 110VAC over the lamp. You can confirm this with your meter. The correct way will be to get a 220 to 110 step down transformer. You may see brightness modulation with the lamp method. Hey, your own disco light!
Oh, no... :roll:
And what about the voltage when you have the volume down to minimum? It will increase up to double, so as the result will be to blow up all the circuits. Sorry, but this is the worst idea to put in practice.

Is there a short of some simple 220-230/110 adapters?

Sure it is was never meant to be a long term or permanent solution at all. It could be used to verify that the unit is not DOA. Starting with enough lamp resistance in series and keeping the volume low (that is one of the limitations I mentioned) he could at least verify that the unit is functional. If you can't make it work, I know I can. He can test it with a headphone connected without any speakers. That will provide a near constant load in the transformer. He could also connect a MOV over the Hi-Fi transformer terminals to make sure that the voltage can't exceed the maximum allowed voltage.

''There are many ways to skin a cat''... Simplify the problem, don’t complicate the solution. :D

So you and me under the same circumstances: I will still be able to make it work for me and listen to the radio. You I guess will be :( while listening to "The sounds of silence"

Old Chinese proverb: "Man who says it can't be done, should not interrupt man doing it!"

I see the glass half full, you see it half empty - that is the difference

In my opinion If there's a small chance that in practical use this method may become misleading, I'll never promote this solution.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back