Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need some suggestion on FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdaporta

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello:
Can any one of you suggest some a books on FPGA and their applications?
I want to iniciate my self in these area and I don´t know where to begin.
I don´t kown what is necessary to program them, what is the better languaje, the best manufacturer and the most common IC´s.

Anything is useful.

Thank´s a lot.

Guillermo

Hi

about FPGA you can find this free ebook on the web :"The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGA".
but i think you want to make use of FPGA . the best way is to learn a language like VHDL or Verilog first.it was my problem to choose one of them too.after about 2 weeks investigation i chose VHDL for it is more systematic. but Verilog is easier.see the file below for more information.
But for learning VHDL (if you choose VHDL) "VHDL programming by example"_Douglas Perry is a good start."circuit design with VHDL"_Pederoni would be useful as well.
you can find many good suggestions and useful books & ... in EDAboard it only needs a little search.

Added after 5 minutes:

see this link to compare VHDL & VERILOG

If you're just starting out the Spartan range of FPGA's from Xilinx is quite good an you can pick up a demo board for about $150 US. It also includes some nice examples, but a good book is a must.

Cheers
Slayer

i would recommend you to buy the Xilinx Spartan 3E Starter Kit ($149) from the online store at Xilinx.com

in the time it takes for the kit to reach your doorstep, grab a book of VHDL/VerilogHDL and start reading it. once you have got the kit, see the examples that have came in the CD with the kit. search on google for small FPGA projects and you will be up and running in no time.

i hope that helps

Where to find the free ebook "The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGA"?

aria62 said:
Hi

about FPGA you can find this free ebook on the web :"The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGA".
but i think you want to make use of FPGA . the best way is to learn a language like VHDL or Verilog first.it was my problem to choose one of them too.after about 2 weeks investigation i chose VHDL for it is more systematic. but Verilog is easier.see the file below for more information.
But for learning VHDL (if you choose VHDL) "VHDL programming by example"_Douglas Perry is a good start."circuit design with VHDL"_Pederoni would be useful as well.
you can find many good suggestions and useful books & ... in EDAboard it only needs a little search.

Added after 5 minutes:

see this link to compare VHDL & VERILOG

"The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGA" is not a good book for Engineer. I just feel sorry that I bought this book and found out it is really for manager type guy later.

Actually I was trying to find a good book for CPLD and FPGA and didn't find it yet.

Hi everybody:
Thank for yours suggestions. I´m now learning VHDL and I have some information about Xilinx.
I do not have the possibility of buying the kit. I´m from Argentina and the cost of the kit here it´s abot U$S 225. Here it´s too much money, then, I must learn as I can, with or whitout the kit.

I let you two link´s, one is in Spanish obout the development of FPGA in the INTI (Instituto Nacional de Tecnologia Industrial) and the other one is the Opencores sites, there you have a lot of communication, arithmetic, library, memory projects.

h**p://fpgalibre.sourceforge.net/
h**p://www.opencores.org/

Best Regards.

GUillerMo

Status
Not open for further replies.