Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need some ideas & help for this project... Plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senthilkumar_rjpm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have one generator in lab... it gives 18 to 50 V, 30A current.. Here i want to stabilaze this voltage to 24V & use it for charging battery... (ie. if o/p is 18v means i want to boost if o/p is 50v means i may buck).

My idea is covert this volatge differnce to 0-5vDc & give it to ADC i/p of Microcontroller, Depends upon i ADC i may swithc boost or buck...

Is it possible? Right? If any simple idea.... Pls share ur idea for me...

Thanks in advance...

Have you had a look at standard voltage regulators like the LM317? I'm not 100% sure that it boost the "voltage" but I seem to recall seing this somewhere?

Thanks for your reply... but, I dont think Lm317 based circuit is suit to this concept... Anyhow i ll study about this any possible...

Plz any one give some idea for this....

The Boost converter can't provide that much of power to charge a 80Ah Battery, But In the buck mode u can deliver the enough power(C/10 ratio)

there are many useful topics are found in the web....
i think this may useful to you

**broken link removed**

Regds,
Sreejith

The old fashioned way to do this was a "chopper stabalised charger".

Very simply you connected the generator output to a capacitor via a transistor switch (often PNP) in series with a small value of resistor. Effectivly the transistor was controled by an opamp and a fixed voltage refrence. So it would with a little hysterisis maintain a roughly stabalised voltage on the capacitor. A "current limit" dropper resistor then went to the battery (with a 1k or whatever down to 0V).

The trick was instead of using a fixed voltage refrence was to make the voltage refrence 1 or 2 volts above the battery terminal voltage. This was done by using a "peak rectifier" and small value cap that charged up to whatever the max voltage from the generator was, a resistor from this was connected to the voltage refrence input of the opamp and a couple of forward biased silicon diodes then acted as zenna's to be connected to the battery terminal.

This way the battery would always see just one or two volts above it's current charge voltage and the current limit resistor could be a suitably low value high wattage wire wound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back