Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need Help on my new POS vending Project via GPRS network

Status
Not open for further replies.

visualquant

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basically I would like to know what I need to start this project .... with the following components in mind. 1) a handheld mobile POS devices that use gprs SIM cards 2) will use existing wireless gprs cell phone towers 3) will have a database to store retail transactions data 4) will need to send data back to POS. 5) the POS will be 100s of miles apart from each other and from where the database will be located. All this will be done over cell phone towers with no cables or internet. The only place where we will use internet or cable will be at the backend data center/office where the database will be located. I have no clue what hardwares to look for and how connectivity will be done. I need you ideas on how put it all together. Much Thanks

Re: I need Help on my new POS vending Project via GPRS netw

GSM Man Thx but Im not sure how. could you elaborate please? web access is unavailabe at the POS terminals as stated in prior posting

If you have a cell phone with a web browser and a "data" plan from your service provider you can build a 'back-end' web server (WAP-based or HTML-based) that the cell phone connects to for transaction processing. I know several companies that use cellphones for POS transaction processing. There are also several iPhone POS applications availble.

There are other bits of information that would need to be considered.
How would the POS device work? What does it need to pick up and send?
If this is for goods, for example, then you would need to have a barcode scanner to read the EAN barcode of the goods. But then how would you obtain the payment? Via cash or card? If card, then how would you read the card information? How would you obtain verification that the card is valid and authorise the transaction? This would also, have to be encripted for security.
These are all things that need to be thought about.

The POS will read a magnetic strip from a card just like a debit card. So the infomation to be sent will be card ID, merchant account Number and charge amount. This information will be sent via cell phone wireless towers - gsm / gprs. The info will then be verified at a database center for authorization then response will be sent back to the POS. Yes there will be some form of security.

So, you will need a magnetic card swipe reader. A keyboard for charge amount and some control or storage for the merchant number. The processor inside can be set-up to input data into a wap database via the GPRS and mobile network (in exactly the same way you can surf the internet via a mobile phone).
Then you just set up the web server to control your security and transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back