Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a temperature compensated logarithmic amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Logarithmic amplifier

I need a temperature compensated log amp to convert a logarithmic varying resistance to more or less linear voltage. The temperature compenstation can be done in software if I can know the exact compensation formula with temperature as I already have a temperature sensor on board.

thanks

techie

Hi techi,

i think you can do it in another way. First you must know what type of temp sensor you have, e.g. pt100, type of thermocouple (J K S or so on).

Then look at Maxim and Linear Technologie or other manufactors for special chips for themperature measurement. There are some chips on the market with this feature.

For example: you have an themocouple type K, so you choose the right chip for this and you have a linear voltage output.

Roscoe

Log

I think you did not get my point. Temperature is not a problem. I already have a sensor (thermistor based) and have the temperature value calculated in software. Now I want this value to be applied to a logarithmic amplifier to correct its response for temperature. Since most log amps are based on the log response of Vbe of a transistor and this Vbe is highly temperature dependent. I dont know exactly how to correct the output voltage for temperature. A simple log amp circuit using simple op-amp can be found in any op-amp book or in the n@tion@l semi website. But its temperature dependence is not documented in detail.

Hi
Try the site of anlogdevices:

here you can find a lot of log amp:
**broken link removed**

also look on thier app for temp sensor and log amp you can find a lot
of info how to design .(they have a lot of experience in analog design

tell us if you find what you need.

Best regards.

if i don't bad remember, i think there's a logaritmic amplifier configuration using op amps. Search for this circuit.

i think it's made using an op amp and a pair of transistors.....

Regards

log amp

If temp. compensation can be performed in software, perhaps you can do the log conversion in software too.

try that from ad - it's good working

Re: Logarithmic amplifier

Well ithink a good suggestion is refering to chapter 9 of schaums outline of electronics
on this link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back