Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] I have TSMC .tf files. Do I need TLU+ files for ICC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozdzen

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I try to place the standard cells, ICC complains that I'm missing capacitance data. I'm only using a .tf file. I was under the impression that the TLU+ model is not needed if you use a .tf file.

If I need the TLU+ file, is there a way to generate it from the .tf file?

I do not have .itf files.

thanks,
Tom

tf file is just technology file which dont have capacitance data . You need to create TLU plus from itf( interconnect technology file)

1) itf file you can get from fab ( check their website)
2) itf is converted to nxtgrd file
3)nxtgrd file is converted to TLU plus

There are synopsys utilities for each conversion

Hi Girish and mozdzen,

Few correction,

Synopsys don't have any utility to generate the TLUPLUS files from NXTGRD files.
Ya there is a workaround to generate TLUPLUS files from the nxtgrd files in the absence of ITF files.

In the header section of the nxtgrd file, ITF file content is present ( if during generation of nxtgrd file , no one used the hide option/encription option for removing the ITF file content from the nxtgrd file header section). If ITF file section is precent .. then you can copy that section and create a ITF file and then with the help of grdgenxo command you can generate the TLUPLUS file.

as Girish mention , TF file and ITF files both are different and different type of information is present in that. For Runing ICC , TF is mandatory and no need of ITF/TLUPLUS/NXTGRD file. Ya if you are doing any thing related to Timing/extraction then definatly you require NXTGRD/TLUPLUS files.

Thanks Birdy,
Then maybe my problem isn't with the tlup files. After I initialize a floorplan, I then try to place the cells. I get a fatal error saying that there isn't any capacitance information on layers 1-3. I get a warning message that I don't have edge capacitance information present either.
My first thought was that it was trying to do timing driven placement, but even the "course" placement gives me the same error.
Any ideas what file it is complaining about or how to get it not to complain?
Thanks,
Tom

Yes .. you r right we cant convert nxtgrd to TLU+

But itf file can be converted to either mxtgrd or TLU+ using grdgenxo command

I have attached a relevent document

I guess there is may be an option in IC compilter to directly readin in an itf file please check it out in solvnet or ICC user manual

Thanks
Girish

Attachments

• Synopsys - SolvNet - DOW Re...pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,287

Hi Tom,
Even Coarse placement need some timing information. Or you can say that it need the netdelay and all. So As such you have to provide tluplus file or nxtgrd file.
My meaning in the last ans that you don't need these files for ICC .. was that without this also you can at least open a design and play with it. I was not aware that you are in between the design cycle.
But there is a way which is not accurate .. you can use wireload model in place of tluplus files. Because in this stage ICC can extract the relevent infomation from the wireload model also. IF by anychance you have SDF , you can use that also here.

I don't how much it will help you but let me know if anything is not clear.

Hi everyone,
Thanks, that did help. We went back to the foundry source and obtained the tlu+ files. icc is now happy and will now place my design.
They had both .tluplus files as well as the .itf files and layer and masking mapping.
Now I can begin to learn to use the tool.
Thanks again,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back