Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I accept suggestions for PIC or AVR programming books that I can download to study

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfminformatica

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
To start I'm a beginner in programming, I would like to set up analog and digital circuits using PIC and AVR that use 7 segment displays, lcd display, to teach me also in fusebits.

About programming, what do experts recommend?
/ the ideal would be a programming that is not very difficult to learn

What do you guys think about PICBASIC programming? Can I use this programming instead of programming C

About the PIC and / or AVR programming book, the ideal book would be as complete as possible.

For PIC devices the predominant language is C (although there is always assembler) so you will be able to find far more examples of code than in PicBasic.
Also start small and build up your skills. I would suggest that (at least for the PIC side of things) you get an 'Explorer' board (or similar) that can use a variety of plug-in processors and a number of interface devices available. That way you know the hardware is good to get started.
For the software side of things, the learning curve can be a bit steep to start with as you have to get the IDE and compiler installed, get the CONFIG settings right and program the device. There are a number of tutorials on the Internet that can help you there. Once you can get (say) the 'flash a LED' program working then you can build up from there as you know you have the basics sorted.
On the AVR side, there are also free IDEs and compilers available. Programming an Arduino-like device is simpler in the first instance but I am always very frustrated by the lack of a decent debugging capability - you need to use 'printf' statements and the like where as the PIC environment (at least the free tools from Microchip) provide fairly good debug facilities to single step and examine/change variables etc..
Susan

My opinion is to try skip touching arduino and other toy-s--t and directly go to Proteus, using their examples figure out how mcu is connected and supplied.
Than start using MicroC (very simple compilier with a lot of libraries included) and try understand how C is working. Then move to STM8/STM32 with real hw.
Try to avoid arduino as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

OK Easyrider83 , thanks

Is Proteus has large simulated components, can I get good results using Proteus? .

@Easyrider83: Why using s----y microC?
What are advantages for the beginner using Proteus? You make everything working in simulation, but when you physically make a project it does not work (obviously, because come of components are not needed for sim).
Closed libraries in all mikroelektronika's compilers and many other weird stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:

I've already seen comments that in the Proteus simulation program works but in practice it's not quite like that. Is it then that no PIC and AVR simulation program works, in practice as in the program?

Hi,

A simulation can only be as good as it's input....
And if the user is not aware that the real wiring causes stray inductance and stray capacitance...then he will miss to include this Ls and Cs in the simulation. And the results will differ..

Klaus

There are tons of examples made by people who knows how the real schematic is working.
And up to my personal experience - everything what I done in proteus was working in real hw.

I guess it all depends on the OPs goals - as stated (s)he wants to build circuits but is a beginner at programming.
In my opinion, simulators have their place BUT they also add a layer of bugs or inconsistencies with the bugs that might be in the silicon. Also simulators generally don't simulate RMW situations whereas the hardware can do that with ease.
The simulator can be of use to learn programming when you are starting out and waiting for hardware to arrive.
For me, programming the hardware and seeing it do what I intend (after the frustration of needing to debug the code/hardware when it doesn't!) is great.
Susan

But, simulators are not compilers, or tools to learn programming :)
They are just for quick'n dirty proof of concept, because the program can run in proteus flawlesly but not on hardware (missing pull up/down resistors, decoupling caps, ...)
Final thing is real hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.