Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hypothesis function [ML-CLASS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

golirev

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've been doing the ML course from stanford on my own now that I have some time, and I cannot figure out why the course material shows the logistic regression hypothesis function as h = g(θT*x) where θ is a nx1 matrix (therefore θT is a is a 1xn) and X is a mxn matrix. Those dimensions are not compatible with each other. When I look at octave/matlab solutions the hypothesis function is implemented the other way around and without the transpose as h = g(x*θ). What am I missing? Why does this work?

Another way of making the dimensions compatible would be to transpose x but I haven't seen that done.

An explanation of the function is found on the following page
Machine Learning

Thanks

Unaware how to do that type of math myself, but just trying to be helpful...

The explanation at your posted link appears to have been written for a different field than electronics. Whether or not that's the reason for the discrepancy, it is common in our schooling to be exposed to explanations that:

* are based on greater requisite knowledge than we have right now

* demonstrate a method primarily rather than an equation, in the intention that we will adapt the method to our own use

* were lifted from a treatise which contains a few missing details in another chapter, and that chapter was omitted from the article you're reading.

* are really too complicated to present in a linear manner, yet we can only read in a linear manner

* are about a topic that needs to be seen from different angles, to get a feel for the ways in which one branch joins to other branches, so to speak.

* are not entirely correct now, but may have been at an earlier time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back