Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV Oscillator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSmith21

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I am generally more of a physics man, and I am in need of some electronics for an experiment of mine. I need a HV circuit that oscillates an
electric field at high frequency. Although that is not too important at this stage. Basically what I need to know is if I should do this:

A square wave oscillation would be preferable. Would I use AC, or pulsed DC for the oscillation of the electric field at the electrodes? Also, is oscillating a polarity switch an option? (Having the polarity at electrodes constantly switch at high frequencies.)

So I could either oscillate a polarity at the electrodes, or oscillate the electric signal reaching the electrodes.

I intend to have something like this:

Oscillator circuit -> Transformer for HV -> Power amp -> electrodes.

Thanks for your help!

At what frequency range and the voltages. See tv flyback circuits. 15KHz, 25000v.

Ah yes, it would be a good start. Although I am looking for frequencies in excess of 0.5 mHz. Voltages anything in excess of 20 000 v. Is this even possible?

Thank you ALERTLINKS. I have actually done some experiments with a flyback from a TV before. I am now looking to "step it up" so to speak.

Electrocautery machine is used in medical treatment to cut and burn wounds. I have repaired few of them about 10 yers back. Small ones which are solid state operate with varable range 300KHz to 1500KHz using ferrite core transformer and power transistors. The hi power models used used industrial power osccilator tube operating around 27MHz using air core variable coil which is more simple to construct.
You can search for service manuals to get insight.

What is Electrocautery?
Hyfrecator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

'Tesla coil' comes to mind. Check into websites of tesla coil builders.

For maximum power you want AC. That way electrons are moving all the time.

With pulsed DC, the electrons are off for part of the cycle.

When you say hi voltage and hi power, you're talking kilowatts. It will be a neat trick if you can do that without a high financial outlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.