Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

huffman encoder/Decoder For Text data compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

kude

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
I am working on Huffman Encoder/Decoder for text compression/Decompression.And here are the things not clear for me.
1.How can I give text input (Whole text once) to the FPGA.
2.When I encode the data the output code length is not fixed and how can I manage this with constant I/O pins of the FPGA.
3.When Encoding the text I have to use heaps,Sort and mearge but this things are not synthesizable in FPGA

thanks in advance

hi kude
1)in my opinion, you can send the input data stream using a RAM. put all the data in a RAM and read it per clock.
2)the only way you can 'fixed' the output is using shift register or concatenate the output maybe into 32bits and try to store it somewhere before read it.
3)not really sure..

may its help..
:)

You will need some sequential elements in your design. Are you familiar with state machines?

Are you really sure an FPGA is the correct way to do the job? Do you have certain reauirements to speed of encoding/decoding that is not possible with standard processors/microcontrollers?

Please give me some more background on the requirements, maybe much better solutions exist.

Stefaan

Reactions: zel

zel

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back