Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HP OfficeJet 350 apparently paper jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerd77

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hp officejet 350 druckstau

There is an HP OfficeJet 350 (fax/printer/scanenr combination) with the following problem:

When switching on, the printer goes in self test mode. After a few seconds, he shows an error message on display:

The text in german is: "Strom abschalten - Druckstau beheben" ,
The englich text is "turn power off - clear print jam"

But there is definitly no paper jam somewhere.

I have read at a german forum, that there is a "reformat" key sequence for the printer which may solve the problem. (probably clears some cmos flags in printer)

https://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1657&forum=4

Does anyone knew the reformat key sequence?

Is a service manual for officeJet 350 available?

hp officejet 350 service manual

Most paper jam problems I've seen on HP printers come from the paper sensors. (Input/ Registration sensor and Exit sensor) As a HP service manual states. 'Paper jams occur when paper fails to arrive at or clear the paper path sensors in the allotted time'. I have seen where Ink and dust plug ithe light path of the sensors. Try checking the sensors and clean them with a Q-tip.

Sparky

ee-sa102

There is a small PCB holding the connectors FROM the printhead and TO the mainboard. It also contains the output sensor. I have unsoldered the output sensor and cleaned it ( but not checked if its electrical ok). Odd enough, that the complete electronic to the mainboard may be removed, and gives the same error.

Also the scanner device (including the display and the keyboard) might be completely removed. Gives always the same BEEP signals (3 times 3 short beeps), therefore the error must be on main board.

Probably the other (input) sensor might be dirty. He is soldered on the mainboard. I will check this the next days.

hp officejet paper jam

Meanwhile, I have checked the Opto-Switch on the main PCB. Its an OMRON EE-SA102 and it seem to work perfect.

Is anybody able to check under which conditions the used chassis (C4663A) might be resetted or cleard from this fault condition ?

hp office jet error 350 fax

Thanks for your support, but i am far behind the point that there might be some paper in some slot.

I have disassembled the printer in complete, and there is ONLY the motherboard left. There is NO position stripe, there is NO scanner device, there is NO head carriage connected. Everything is removed. There is ONLY the "nacked" motherboard (plus the speaker, who is beeping 8 sekonds after switching on). If I connect the scanner, it will additionally show the text message that there is some paper jam.

BUT: As I have no second printer of same type, i am not complete sure if this "demounted" state whill give the same error on a working printer (i would expect: no). Therefore, it IS some fault on the mainboard.

I have read at another german board that there is some "reformat" key sequence (I wolud expect that it clears some internal flash chips). Thats ONE possible idea i have at least.

officejet 350 repair

I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM (and the solution) !!!!!!!!

There is a flat ribon cable betwen sthe small PCB and the head carriage. It carries the signal lines to the print cartrige, plus some additional info. one of the lines (the outer one) has been broken. The signal running through this wire will be used by a photo sensor within the head carriage. The photo sensor itself is NOT resopnsible for paper check, but for positioning the head in horizontal position. For that reason, some "positioning stripe" with some hundred of lines is tightend behind the head (excact: behind the rod where the head carriage runs upon.

The effect that the printer signals "print jam" is not complete incorrect, but at least confusing. What the printer seems to do is the following:

step_1: Fist, the printer tries to place the head complete to the right to some initial position (this works).

step_2a: Then he moves the head to the middle of the way to eject some paper which might rest in the printer. THIS ACTION FAILS, as the processor receives no feedback from light sensor where the head acually is placed. The printer should announce here:" I cand find my head position", but instead of this the above message occurs (paper jam).
Now, after finding the error and fixing the broken cable, everything continues as expected:

step_2b: short feed to eject possibly some paper from the printer

step_3: move head to left side, and activate clutch (the small black stripe) to put some new paper in the transport way

step_4: head moves to the right again, checks ink cartridge. he moves around a little bit beneath the ink stripper, and finds out everything is ok.

step_5: printer signals "ok", and waits some time for printable input.

Thats all - a broken flat cable !!!

by the way: the repair costs are not that much: 1 have bought an old printer/fax (same modell) from ebay for 1 EUR. The guy who owns the printer has refilled the ink cartrige and has made some mistake. result: the WHOLE ink has run out and flooded the printer. It needs some gloves and lot of old newspapers for covering my workbench to dismount the "new" flat ribon cable from this printer - what a crap !!! .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back