Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to write a VHDL code which can count the pulses for 10sec and then stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob007

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to write a code in vhdl to count a input signal for a particular time duration
for eg. i have a window size of 0 to 99999sec
in this user sets up a input of 10sec
how to write a vhdl code which can count the pulses for 10sec and then stop
i have a clock of 3Mhz

Re: fpga code

Divide the clock, use that as your clock for a counter and start counting, when the signal goes active, stop counting and save the data into a register, repeat the same thing over and over.

Divide the clock, use that as your clock for a counter and start counting, when the signal goes active, stop counting and save the data into a register, repeat the same thing over and over.

Unless you're building an ASIC, using a counter to clock and another circuit opens you up to all sorts of timing problems.

Yes diving the clock with a counter, but us the output as an enable - not another clock.

Dude, where in my message did you find "use a counter as a clock"?

Please read the message before jumping into conclusion and lecturing people.

You can divide the clock using a clock divider inside the FPGA (depending on what type he is planning to use Altera, Xilinx, Actel etc).

Is it that difficult to understand?

Well, I think TrickyDicky is only repeating a simple FPGA design rule "don't use divided clocks".

But I agree about "not jumping into conclusions", because it may be the case, that the complete design can be run by the divided clock only. Then there's no issue with clock dividers.

If you however want the "fast" respectivly less slow 3 MHz clock e.g. to process input pulses, thenthe design should better operate with a single clock and divided clock enable.

but how to divide the clock to that extent?????

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

to divide the clock for say 10 sec a large chain will be required!

to divide the clock for say 10 sec a large chain will be required!
25 registers and a number of LEs for the feedback in case of a binary counter. Not large in terms of FPGA resources.

how to store the code in the fpga so that it retains it even after power off?

either:
1.) purchase an FPGA with this feature, such as a Spartan3-AN.
2.) purchase an FPGA that can read from an external Flash. Most Xilinx parts have this feature (see the configuration guide).
3.) use a second microcontroller that can program the FPGA as well as read the FPGA code from another source at boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back