Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use pointer in uC to decrease RAM size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Use pointer in uC

Hi,

Q1) Do you know how to solve the below problem? without adding any new declaration, is it possible?

Code:
void fc1(unsigned char *xp)
{
	fc2(&xp);
}
void fc2(unsigned char *yp)
{
}

Q2) how to use pointer to reduce the microcontroller RAM size? Do you got any exemple program?

Thank You

Re: Use pointer in uC

Help said:
Q1) Do you know how to solve the below problem? without adding any new declaration, is it possible?

I'm not sure what you are doing but I quess if you call fc2 like fc2(xp) it will works fine...?

SSK said:
call fc2 like fc2(xp)

But i can't change it to fc2(xp) because others function i pass with pointer * ( fc2(*yp)).

Thank You.

Not sure but it seems you are messing "*" as operator with "*" as declarator.

fc1 expect a pointer to uchar
fc2 also expect a pointer to uchar but you are passing the pointer address instead, a pointer to the stack finally since pointer is passed at function call and you even can't know there original pointer address, seems too scarce to be intended...

xp is still a pointer inside fc1, then fc2(xp) fulfill fc2 declaration (without "&" operator since xp is already a pointer) nevertheless fc2(&xp) would fulfill fc2( uchar **xp ) instead.

cheers ;-)

Help

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Hi

Thank you very much. At least we not need to add another variable to solve it.

So, do you know my Q2?
Thank You.

Since a pointer is a variable (uses ram) and it's a reference to values and not the values themselves (that use their own RAM/ROM), generally speaking I don't think pointers can help you to use less ram but less rom, since they let you fold together common parts of code making them dependant on a pointer value dinamically adjusted vs. rom fixed codes (ie address to jump).

Cheers ;-)

Help

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back