Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to use % operator in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

taolibuyan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
verilog modulo operator

I got this error "Operator % is only supported when the second operand is a power of 2." My second operand is a integer constant. Is it synthesizable? I have to use this operator.

modulo operator verilog

What tool is giving you this error? How are you using the modulus operator?

verilog modulus operator %

Many synthesis tools don't support integer division/modulus/remainder unless the calculation is trivial, such as division by a power of two. If your value isn't a power of two, then you are probably out of luck.

Maybe you can use another approach such as building your own math module, or using a math core from your software's IP library.

Or maybe you can approximate the division by multiplying by the fraction 1/K instead of dividing by K.

If both operands are small, you could fetch the result from a ROM lookup table.

verilog mod operator

Xilinx ISE 8.1

My codes are simply

if (A % B > ***)

rberek said:
What tool is giving you this error? How are you using the modulus operator?

Added after 5 minutes:

Thanks. It seems it's impossible to use modulus/division operators. :(

The range of my operands is too large for a lookup table. I will try math core.

echo47 said:
Many synthesis tools don't support integer division/modulus/remainder unless the calculation is trivial, such as division by a power of two. If your value isn't a power of two, then you are probably out of luck.

Maybe you can use another approach such as building your own math module, or using a math core from your software's IP library.

Or maybe you can approximate the division by multiplying by the fraction 1/K instead of dividing by K.

If both operands are small, you could fetch the result from a ROM lookup table.

Re: verilog modulo operator

It's not synthesizable is your second operand is not 2.
you need design by hand.

Re: modulo operator verilog

Hi, i want to make a verilog module that calculates (A mod B) where b is 31, the result remains between 0 to 31 whatever the input A is,,, any help in this regard would be appreciated.. i am using xilinix ise 14.1..

Re: modulo operator verilog

Hi, i want to make a verilog module that calculates (A mod B) where b is 31, the result remains between 0 to 31 whatever the input A is,,, any help in this regard would be appreciated.. i am using xilinix ise 14.1..

Shouldn't this be A mod 32? Which the results will lie in the 0 to 31 range? If so this should be synthesizable.

-alan

If you are not worried of accuracy you can do the modulo operation in verilog synthesizable by following math operation

x mod k

1.Calculate 1/k and then multiple with a number which is in power of two like 32,64,256.....
2.Multiply the resultant value with x and then divide by the power of 2 number that is been used for division

There is bug in xilinx tool

Modulo will be synthesizable when (x mod k) -> x is signal not variable.
ofc k dont need to be the power of 2. Somehow synthesis tool requires k to be power of 2 when x is variable.

You can check it in some paper -> xilinx design recommendation or sth. The recommandation for counters to MAX_VALUE value is
cnt <= (cnt+1) mod MAX_VALUE

Last edited:

There is bug in xilinx tool

Modulo will be synthesizable when (x mod k) -> x is signal not variable.
ofc k dont need to be the power of 2. Somehow synthesis tool requires k to be power of 2 when x is variable.

Thats understandable - its preventing the generating of the massive logic required for the mod operation.
Basically, the mod or % operator is pretty useless in synthesisable HDL, as the fmax would be rather slow.

When K is constant xilinx sythesis handle is very well with resourses usage twice less then altera and very good fmax. But in Altera, quartus uses lmp_div cores and u get sloppy design. So i stopped using modulos after all, because all in all imho quartus is far better enviroment (maybe except modulo implementation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back